Any 2017 MacBooks with the high-pitched keyboard issue like the 2017 MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paging_dr, Jun 20, 2017.

1. paging_dr macrumors newbie

2. TripleMoxy macrumors regular

I tried a colleague's i5/8gb/512 unit to see whether the lower temperatures made a difference. The second generation keyboard still has quite an inconsistent feel and sound between keys: the shift key on the right hand side of the UK keyboard is looser than the other keys and makes quite a loud clacking sound when pressed, for example. I did not, however, manage to trigger the high-pitched squeaking behaviour.

I'm still not convinced that the butterfly keyboard is any good. Many others, I am sure, will disagree.

3. EugW macrumors 68000

EugW

I don't have this issue, either on my MacBook m3 2017 or on my iMac i7 2017 Bluetooth keyboard. Or at least, I haven't noticed it yet.

I only wish the trackpad had a firmer click. Even on the firm setting it's not as firm as the firm setting on the MacBook Pros.

4. glhughes macrumors regular

I have a 2017 rMB (for work) and a 13" nTB 2016 MBP (for home). The MBP has the high-pitched clicking when warm and the keys randomly lock up and stop working; very annoying.

The 2017 rMB is perfect and I haven't had any problems with the keyboard even when it's running quite warm. Highly recommend the 2017 rMB if you don't need a ton of CPU / GPU power and can live with the smaller screen (I run at 1440x900 and it's a little small vs. the 13").

It's also incredibly light. Such an amazing little thing.