Any 2G owners fianlly upgrading to the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3N16MA, Jun 10, 2010.

?

Will you be upgarding your 2G to the new iPhone 4?

1. Yes - getting the iPhone 4

40 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No - staying with the 2G

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

This is the first iPhone that has made me want to finally retire my trusty 2G and pick up a new iPhone. Funny thing is I live in Canada where the 2G was never released. I have been asked 2-3 times if my 2G is the new iPhone by complete strangers.

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

3. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I have had the 8 GB 1st generation iPhone since about 3 months after its release. I think this year's update as well as last year's are more than enough to justify me upgrading. But I waited last year and I will wait this year. I promised myself I wouldn't upgrade to a new iPhone until 64 GB was available and I am sticking to my promise!

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have three iPhone lines, one 3GS, one 3G and one original iPhone. I'm going to use the 3G as my upgrade this time around though all three lines are eligible. I am keeping the original on it's plan indefinitely simply because I like the $73 a month bill.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. SA22C macrumors regular

Much like yourself, I've been using a 2G iPhone in Canada since long before the 3G debuted. The iPhone 4 is the first new model that feels like a big enough update for me to buy one.

7. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I've been using a 4gb model that I bought from a friend 2 years ago. This is the first update that really makes me want to upgrade. I can't wait!

8. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

9. Skull21 macrumors regular

I've had the 2g for almost 3 years now. The iphone 4 will be a nice update :)

10. mikeyiphone macrumors regular

I purchased my 2G (8GB) the second week of release, it's still a beast but it has its issues. The home button barely works I am hoping it can hold on till the 24th.

The only thing i wish 4 had was a 64GB model. The ability to record in HD I can see 32GB it getting filled up quickly between music, pictures and video. Either way im really glad i skipped the 3GS because 4 looks incredible.

11. memesmith macrumors regular

I'm going to replace the EDGE iPhone I had since a few days after the UK launch (it was bought on launch day, but I had to wait 'till my subsequent wedding anniversay before I got to play with it). I'm glad I resisted the temptation of the 3G S, but as iOS4 won't work on the original it's time to move on.

12. USMCSSGT macrumors member

USMCSSGT

I've had my 2G since December of 2007. I didn't upgrade yet because it was $400 and I wanted to get my money out of it. And I didn't see enough to upgrade. But the iPhone 4 is definately my next phone. My 2G has been acting up lately anyway, so it'll be a welcome change.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I can't believe this, lol. Three years with the same phone and you want to make it four? I can't imagine that.

14. jess127 macrumors member

I have had the iphone 2g for a year and a half and I am MOST DEFFINATELLY upgrading to the 4g.... I have been waiting for this phone since before the
    3gs came out... knowing that they were going to release a new one, and it is finally weeks away!! =D

I know for sure I will be keeping this phone for a while, I love my 2g but after 2 upgrades I felt like it was ready to let it go hehe =P.

4g here we come =D!!!

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Good luck man. :rolleyes:

Also, doesn't the iPhone miss out on 4.0? I would upgrade for the pure awesomeness of the new software. Also, I can't imagine using the original. My 3G was acting laggy and since getting a 3GS I'm surprised I was patient with it.

16. kaputsport macrumors member

I have one of the first phones (as verified by a apple tech) and I am upgrading.

My serial number came back to a production date weeks before the release!!!!

17. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i stood in line in 2007 for the 2G iPhone and every iPhone released since then made me want to upgrade. but i stuck with the 2G, mainly because of the $20 200txt/unlimited data plan.

i will be getting an iPhone 4, but my priority is to get a 3G iPad first, and hope the iPhone 4 is released for multiple networks by 2011. an iPad is much more capable in my hands then a new iPhone anyway.

18. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I am most impressed by the new design element and the screen. The plastic-y nature of the 3G and 3GS just didn't do it for me.

But like I said, 64 GB or no go. Memory should be cheap enough a year from now for Apple to put the 64 GB in.

Plus, my 1st gen. still has way more going on than what I see most people using for a phone!

The only thing that really burns me about my current phone is the battery life. But that's pretty much been since day one.

19. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Depends on if there will be a unlock soon after. The new iPhone looks cool but i still wont sign up with AT&T.

20. achtungfemme macrumors member

I too am upgrading from a 2g that I got from one of those freeiphone.com sites (it actually worked). But, alas, I have had the phone since Jan. of 2008 and it is time for an upgrade.

I also had a 30GB ipod video that was 4 1/2 years old. I sold that on Amazon recently and have decided that I am only going to have one device to carry - use the iphone 4 as my ipod AND phone. Get rid of the clutter.

However, I have a few concerns about this:

(a) When upgrading, do I need to remove my sim card from the old phone and put it in the new one, or will it automatically switch over once I activate the new iphone 4 on iTunes.

(b) How many others use their iphone as thier primary ipod device? I am concerned about always taking out the headphones and putting them back in on a daily basis. Will that short out the headphone port with all of that constant "in and out"?

Thanks!

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Aren't those switching from the original going to get stuck with the new data caps since they're not currently on the $30 unlimited data plan?

22. elistan macrumors 6502a

I've had my first-gen 2G iPhone since launch day.

- It's still in near-mint condition
    - I thought the case on the 3G/3GS models was a step back.
    - The increased 3G speed of the 3G/3GS wasn't worth the extra $15/mo (since the $20/mo EDGE plan included 200 texts.)
    - The increased processor speed of the 3GS, again, wasn't worth the upgrade cost IMO.

But now:
    - 2G not getting iOS 4
    - $15/mo 200MB plan available (I usually use less than 100MB/mo)
    - Even faster processor
    - I really like the look of the new case, and will check it out in person once released to stores
    - 4GB is starting to be too little storage.

So yeah, I'm finally contemplating making an upgrade.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm back on my old 2G while I'm selling my 3GS. I guess I've been spoilt by the 3GS' speed and RAM. I don't know how you guys have held on this long.

24. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Actually no. According to AT&T, they will be grandfathered also, they will just have to upgrade to the $30 plan. That will, however, affect their texting.

25. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

YES! I had no intention of getting an iPhone. My brother upgraded to a 3gs and put the 2g in a drawer. Four months ago I told him that I was starting to get into podcasts on my iPod so he gave me his old phone to use as a iPod touch. I think I had it for an hour before going to the att store to activate it. LOVE IT!

The 4 is not all that I had hyped it up to be and it sucks we all still have to stay with att but now that I am over the need for 100+gb and a facial recognition scanner I am pretty esxcited about getting my first new iPhone!