Any App to let me access my iPad from my PC (not the other way around)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NaweG, Aug 26, 2011.

1. NaweG macrumors newbie

NaweG

It would appear that while there are a number of great solutions to let you access your PC from your iPad, there are no apps to let you access your iPad from your PC? I need to be able to do remote support of some iPads in the field, and this lack is about to mean I'm going to have to cancel the project and tell folks we'll have to go back to notebooks. If there's an app I've missed, PLEASE let me know!

2. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Out of curiosity what kind of remote support are you anticipating? Setting up email, explaining why some websites don't work (flash), reinstalling apps?

I don't think you have any options for a stand alone iPad base.

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Hi,

There are a lot of businesses with large iPad deployments and a large amount of Apple services and 3rd party management and administration Apps to help.

There is an Apple white paper, as well as a page with 20 companies offering various management solutions. Perhaps one of them can help with your device support issue.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/integration/mdm/

I know it's not an exact answer to your question, but hopefully it's a pointer to a company that can help.

4. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Yes, why exactly do you need remote support?

There may be a workaround.

5. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

If you need remote access to employee's iPads then someone is doing something wrong, either you screwed up a corporate rollout with just handing out iPads to people without setting up corporate policies and a corporate app store or your users are not a good target demographic to use iPads for whatever business they conduct.

6. riceguy macrumors newbie

FileApp available free in AppStore, let's u access youripad directory via FTP, its slow for big files.

7. aonali21 macrumors member

You can easily establish a SSH connection between your iPad and a PC to view and change files on the iPad.....!

8. NaweG thread starter macrumors newbie

NaweG

No iPads have been distributed yet. There has been an interest in replacing a number of touch-enabled notebooks for a few company apps, but the reality is that part of our standard for choosing a platform is the ability to remote connect not just to see what files are on the machine, but to be able to troubleshoot whether it's an app that has gone awry, or an internal app that needs debugging, etc.

I am reading the whitepaper, but it sounds like the recommended solution is to just have the folks bring their iPads in frequently, or be prepared to send folks into the field to support other folks in the field.

It looks like from the responses on here, and what I have been able to find, that the use of the iPad in an Enterprise environment is "at your own risk", and I guess that we will need to status the research effort into this accordingly.

Thanks anyway!

9. Yokley, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

Yokley macrumors newbie

I reviewed a bunch of remote support tools recently.

Bomgar will enable you able to send out configuration updates to iPads, but not remote control them.

Similarly, LogMeIn Rescue also provides remote support of iPads through chat and sending configuration updates, but again not sharing screens. Note that you'll need the add-on license for supporting mobile devices.

There doesn't seem to be any tool that allows remote control / screen sharing - from what I understand this is a limitation of the Apple iOS API.