Any Apple Employees that might leak info on a 3rd gen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wildride, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Wildride macrumors newbie

I've been so disappointed in waiting for Apple to release a update to give
    the iPhone the missing features I've missed since getting it, that I've been
    shopping around for a new phone. I really miss voice activated dialing most of all, and AD2P, and MMS. What I found in shopping no one's touch screen is as good as the iPhone's. With my luck, the day after I get a new phone and commit to a contract Apple will announce it'll release a 3rd gen iPhone that will finally offer the customer what we've been waiting so angrily and impatiently for.
    Is there anyone out there who works for Apple that has any knowledge of when the next generation iPhone might be released?
    Since the 3G just came out I wonder if I should just hold out with my first generation iPhone till the new year.
    With more and more States passing hands free laws I don't understand how Apple can plan on selling 45,000,000 iPhones that don't have a function required by law in many States.

2. transam7816 macrumors regular

i guess you're still not sure how apple works. no one will leak that info

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

voice dialing is already on the iPhone, just go to the app store and get an app called SpeechCloud VoiceDialer. MMS is dead and annoying, use email. Apple just released the iPhone 3G, it's unlikely that they'll release a third generation iPhone anytime soon. All the iPhone's missing features, except stereo bluetooth and a front facing camera (yuck!), can be fixed in a software update. It has been stated by Joswiak (I think that's who said it, it was someone at Apple) that copy+paste and video recording are coming soon to the iPhone. It is unlikely that there will be any software available for the third generation iPhone that won't be available for the iPhone or iPhone 3G, so whatever comes to the iPhone third generation will come to the other two versions, except maybe video conferencing or something like that. Anything software-wise that comes to the new iPhone will come to the current versions, including video recording and copy+paste.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No one is that dumb. The iPhone 3G doesn't have tit by itself, but there is an app that does it just fine. There are also apps that add the MMS feature. And AD2P, well that is a hardware issue.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I work at apple. The iPhone 3G will be code named iMagination. It is inserted into your mind. it does anything you want it to do

:cool:

6. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Most if not all of what you want doesnt require a 3rd iPhone. Its software. So that is what really needs the updating. AppleInsider (for what little they are worth now) has hinted at 32gb iPhones coming, although i consider that as somewhat stating the obvious.. Thats about it for now.

7. Wildride thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for All the replies. I've tried the voice dial apps in the app store and none are hands free, and more importantly none work with blue tooth.
    With all the iPhones Apple forecast on selling "some 45,000,000 worldwide"
    Am I the only one that foresees the coming danger here?
    Through all the updates that have come and gone and still Apple has neglected to give the iPhone a traditional voice dial app, I think a pedestrian
    will have to be killed by a driver trying to place a call on the iPhone first. Then after Apple is sued for millions and another billion in cost for recalling
    iPhones already sold, and Apple's name is drug through the gutter, then maybe the iPhone will come out of the box with voice dial if it is to survive. I think it would be a strange twist of fate if the pedestrian killed was Steve Jobs himself. Of course then it would probably be swept under the rug and we'd see no improvements.
    I've complained about this to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Hopefully more people will take a minute to send in a complaint and we can
    pressure Apple to do something.
    I'm curious if the Engineer who was known to be texting in that deadly CA train wreck was using a iPhone. Has anyone heard anything about that?

8. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

if you go to the factory you might get that info..

9. spazattack674 macrumors regular

Sorry, but that seems like a weak argument to me. It wouldn't be Apple's fault for not providing a voice dial application. By your thinking, it would be more AT&T's fault for providing cellular coverage. If there is a feature that you think is missing from the iPhone that is a deal-breaker, you shouldn't buy it in the first place.

10. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Honestly what is the big ****in deal with voice dialing, i have never used it in my life and i have never crashed a car or a train for that matter, nor have i been hit by any of the above, maybe some people are just not capable of doing 2 things at once, and maybe its not the device's fault but the user

11. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Dude, I'm all about voice dialing, but that guy was texting! What does voice dialing have to do with texting? Your argument makes less than no sense!

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

One a year, every year. There will be no new one until July.

13. sibruk macrumors 6502a

This is going to be a tough one for Apple employees...

1) Keep job at one of the world's most amazing companies
    2) Tell some stranger on a forum all my trade secrets.

Ahem.

14. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

People who have your level of logic shouldn't be allowed to tie their own shoelaces.

15. knoxtown macrumors 6502

sold

16. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

why not buy one of these or similar product? They aren't terribly expensive and allow stereo bluetooth on any ipod (assuming iphone as well).

17. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Wow, dude. :rolleyes: you filed an official complaint because a product you bought doesn't do something it never claimed to do?

Is there some reason you have to dial while driving? Can't you wait until you get to a light or something? I live in one of the hands-free states (which btw, doesn't require voice dialing-where did you get that idea?), and I just wait until I'm stopped to dial or don't make the call. Imagine that!

If you absolutely, positively have to voice dial, I saw a review of a Bluetooth handset that has voice dialing for the iPhone (for a lot of money). It has a receiver that plugs into the headset jack and transmits your voice command into the phone. Do a google search for that, and stop being unreasonable.

18. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

You are out of your mind. You shouldn't use your phone when driving--your complaint to the consumer product safety commission is absurd because the product is safe. Do you believe in ANY personal accountability?

Who cares if the engineer was using an iPhone? If he shouldn't have been texting then he shouldn't have been texting regardless of what device he was using.

<sheesh/>

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yes, most definitely. Steve Jobs would be one, there are likely a few others.

20. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Agreed. Any moron who says it's the manufacturer's fault when a pedestrian gets killed because the driver's phone didn't have voice dial shouldn't even be allowed to drive. No one's requiring you to use your phone while driving. In fact, it's usually illegal. If you do use it, whatever happens is your own responsibility, just like it is -- gasp -- when you're not on the phone!

Making a safety complaint because the phone doesn't have a feature you want is absurd. I bet removing people from the road who clearly don't believe they can be held accountable for anything would do us a lot more good than even more government regulation that phone manufacturers include a feature that most people wouldn't use anyway, and hasn't actually been proven to reduce accidents. I like voice dialing, don't get me wrong -- your rationale is just unfathomable.

EDIT: Oh and in response to your thread title, "Any Apple Employees that might leak info on a 3rd gen iPhone?" ...Yeah. I'm sure they're going to suddenly open the floodgates because of a forum thread. Damn, why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

21. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Apple are very good at keeping secrets. You know how? They don't tell their employees anything. If you don't know, apple employees don't know.

The only people at apple in the know would be Steve Jobs, and those working on the product. None of those people would be difficult to track.

Just be patient buddy.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Soliciting a leak, is just as bad as making the leak, if Apple goes after you. ;)

23. Wildride thread starter macrumors newbie

I know my question was a shot in the dark with little hope for a true answer

Note to everyone: I do always try to wait and place my calls when I'm stopped, because I recognize the danger involved in taking your eyes off the road to work through the menus on the touch screen to place a call on the iPhone. The problem is with the millions being sold, do you want to depend on every driver who buys a iPhone to be this wise? And as far as my complaint to the CPSC goes. Since Apple hasn't listened to the users feedback to add this, I figure trying to get the government to pressure them was the only way to go.
    Don't get me wrong about my feelings on the iPhone. I like it more than hate the missing features or I'd just go get another phone today. Everyday I debate whether to go get a 3G or not.
    I'd like to get one now either by a firmware update or hardware update that will come out of the box with the missing features I want. That's why I force
    myself to wait Apple out.

24. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Kevin Rose's sources would like a word with you ;)

25. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Honestly I dont want my tax dollars being spent on the Govt forcing Apple to put some feature on the iPhone.

Since you dont have a 3g and Voice dialing is so important to you perhaps you should pursue another phone, or write Apple voicing your demands and concern for vehicle operators and pedestrians worldwide, but whining on an internet forum is definately not going to solve anything