Any apps for free international calling over wifi/4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Major Sparky, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Major Sparky, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

Major Sparky macrumors newbie

I know this has been asked before and I've searched around but I can't find a good answer.

I'm in the U.S. My girlfriend is currently in Japan for a couple weeks, and will be leaving shortly for France to spend the fall semester. She got a phone and sim card for international calls through http://www.onesimcard.com/?gclid=CP2wj8Cg6bgCFSFyQgodbngAPg It's a pay as you go thing. It costs nothing for her to receive calls and texts. But of course it costs me to send things. I need an app that I can make calls from over 4G or Wifi for free, or as close to it as possible.

So what apps have decent call quality, and send and receive texts easily. For some reason onesimcard.com gave her and Estonian cell number. So I don't know if that makes much of a difference. She also has an android phone.

Also, I have to be able to call her phone. Not an app on her phone. She doesn't have any data plan and wifi is not consistent. So things like Viber couldn't work. If she had Wifi we'd just skype.

Finally, if anyone knows of any other services like onesimcard.com that are better let me know. I have a feeling that they're kind of a rip off.

Thank you for any and all help!

EDIT: I have an iPhone 4S

2. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

I dont know of anything for you on your end, but if your girlfriend has an iPhone (maybe there is an android app as well, though I don't know) she could download the Vonage App which will let her call US numbers for free using VoIP (and it will actually use her number).

I am using this currently from Brazil to call family back home, and the caller ID shows my US number when I call them. So maybe email her that you want to call or something similar, then she can call you from a free app like that.

3. Baggio macrumors 6502

Viber

or

Google Voice numbers with the Talkatone app. You can call US or other Google Voice numbers for free. You need to credit to call foreign numbers.

4. str8up macrumors newbie

+1 on Viber. I call and text with relatives in the Philippines for free as long as both sides have internet access via WiFi or 3G/4G.

5. Major Sparky thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry guys but I specifically stated in the OP that apps like Viber couldn't work because she doesn't have a dataplan, and if she had wifi then we'd just skype. I'm looking for an app for when she DOESN'T have access to the internet.

6. RoofMonkey911 macrumors member

Tango works via 3G / 4G

7. Baggio macrumors 6502

I would suggest using Skype and buying credit and calling her number. She won't be able to use an app over just her voice connection.

8. Major Sparky thread starter macrumors newbie

She doesn't have data.

----------

There's no app I can use to call just her phone?

9. Baggio, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

Baggio macrumors 6502

Skype can dial her phone number. But you will need credit on your account to do so. You will have find out the rate on skype.com based on the origin country of her phone number. Google Voice can be used via data connection on Talkatone app and can can call US numbers for free. For foreign numbers you will need credit on your Google Voice account.

10. RoofMonkey911 macrumors member

Sounds like she needs to get some kind of a data plan or find coffee shops, etc... That have free wifi.