Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyCsPiTTa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I hate to say it, but since jailbreaking I've started paying much more attention to how much free memory my phone has. With a fresh respring it is around 250-300MB, but usually hovers around 100-150MB, and easily can drop to <50MB with some greedy apps (e.g. Zite newsreader). Usually closing all but a few essential apps (Music, Notepad, 2Do) only brings me back up to 150MB. Sometimes even that doesn't work, and I'm left stuck below 100MB...

So, I'm trying to figure out what is using my memory. There seems to be dozens of "system" apps out there that are all clones of each other, but none have the ability to show how much memory each APP or PROCESS is using. All they show is priority.

One exception was "MemTool", but this app hasn't been updated in years and no longer runs. http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/2009/03/02/memtool-view-memory-and-process-info/

Are there any tools out there, native or jailbreak, which give REAL information on what is using memory?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The top command via Terminal or SSH can do that. But of course, on iOS as with many other UNIX based systems, free memory is wasted memory.

MyCsPiTTa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
"Monitor" by HandyPadSoft

Nope, this is just yet another battery-life estimator which shows only wired/active/blahblah memeory. And not a very highly rated one at that...

----------

But of course, on iOS as with many other UNIX based systems, free memory is wasted memory.

I'm not an expert on how the iPhone memory works, but I guess I'd just like to know what processes - and I'm mostly guessing it's jailbreak ones here - are hogging more than a fair share of memory. Those processes, of course, don't show up in the task switcher.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm not an expert on how the iPhone memory works, but I guess I'd just like to know what processes - and I'm mostly guessing it's jailbreak ones here - are hogging more than a fair share of memory. Those processes, of course, don't show up in the task switcher.

The best way to become an expert in how it works, is to just let those who have designed the system and know everything about it worry about it and stop worrying about it yourself. The memory management is very good and iOS doesn't have an minor or major memory leaks anymore. Back in iOS 1.1.1, there was a rather nasty one where if you had the Safari open in the background and the Phone app up, Safari would start leaking memory faster than a colander. That was fixed in iOS 1.1.2. iOS 5, only has very, very tiny memory leaks that don't pose a problem unless the device is left on for about three months non-stop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.