Any AT&T customers who are getting the 3G iPhone but don't have the original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryanxslabaugh, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ryanxslabaugh macrumors member

I keep looking online and I can't find the 3G iPhone in the upgrade category and my contract expires within 3 months.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Note: This is only for people who are on AT&T right now and do not have the the original iPhone.

2. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

My contract's eligibility is around November at the earliest, but it uses the word like "may be" as if it depends on your status, such as payments.

If you are only 3 months away from the entire 2 year contract being over, I'd say you have good chance. You are saying you are eligible already, but the list of phones your can upgrade to right now some how doesn't show the iPhone.

Best bet would be to stop into an ATT store and check there. Could just be a glitch.

3. ryanxslabaugh thread starter macrumors member

I remember my mom forgot to pay one bill and our phones were shut off for not even 3 hours.
    Would that kill my chances?

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

why would 3G iPhone show up in the list of upgradeable phones when its not even out yet. Wait til the 11th or walk into a COR and ask them about your status.

5. ryanxslabaugh thread starter macrumors member

I've heard that people say that they've checked and that they are eligible for the upgrade but i think those people had the original iPhone.

6. The Sweet Love macrumors newbie

The Sweet Love

I heard you have to be in "good standing" to upgrade to the iPhone 3G..but I also read on this pamphlet someone posted saying something like "if the customer is ineligible for an upgrade due to non-payment offer to take a payment to make the account current" so I am wondering exactly what good standing means..if it means you were never late or if it just means your account balance is all paid off. I would think it would be that your account balance is all paid off because...late fees are added if you pay late and if you pay them..it is more money for them..and I am sure a lot of people have paid late once or twice in their contract. I really have no idea though.

7. ryanxslabaugh thread starter macrumors member

Yeah we paid it off and everything and it was also in December.
    Is there a way to log into your AT&T profile and look to see what payment was late?
    If I can't get the iPhone the day after I get back from Florida (I wanted to get it after I go to Florida because the last time I was there I lost my iPod and I don't wanna risk it.) my AT&T contract expires on the 18 of August so I guess I could just go in then and get my iPhone.

8. tha80sbrat macrumors regular

I think you are eligible for an equipment discount if you have less than 3 months left on your contract. My contract ends in December and I am upgrade eligible on August 23. I wish the reps would make an exception for me since it's only a month (the store rep said I could, but the AT&T documents in another thread says otherwise). I don't want to stay in line on the 11th and then have to pay the unsubsidized price. :(

9. firewood macrumors 604

I've been upgrade eligible for awhile. Fortunately, I've been throwing all the junk mail AT&T's been sending me about "free" phone upgrades in the trash. Looks like a little patience has earned me an easy $200.

10. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I feel the same. I try to raise my spirits by telling my self that if I pay the unsubsidized price, then when the next iPhone, 6-12 months away, comes out, I could upgrade at the cheaper price, and all those that got the subsidized version would have to wait longer. I figure the next update is going to be even more desirable than this one.

Though, they for some reason, as those ATT docs say, the $399 price is a so called "Early Upgrade," which they still charge you $18 on top of that higher price. But it better not change my upgrade eligibility for starting all over.

With you being a month away, and you buy it at $399, and they tell you that 1 month is reset and you can't upgrade for another 20+ months, I'd be freaking. Mines 4 months away.

11. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

If your account says this:

Then you are definitely on track to get your iPhone next Friday.

If not, you need to a.) Pay your bill so your balance will be $0 (if it's late of course) b.) Wait until you're upgrade eligible, or c.) pay the $399 / $499 pricing for the "early upgrade."

12. mark34 macrumors 6502a

If AT&T's site says you are eligible to upgrade equipment you are, if it says you are eligible at some later date, you are not. There is no complicated math. Call AT&T or stop by if you don't want to believe the site, but there is no wiggle room at all.

13. ryanxslabaugh thread starter macrumors member

My account does say this so I guess I am on track but I still wont be getting next Friday.

14. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

They would not turn off your service if you missed one bill, a few bills then yes.

15. ryanxslabaugh thread starter macrumors member

But would that make me not eligible for the iPhone upgrade?

16. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

How about calling ATT?

17. ryanxslabaugh thread starter macrumors member