Any AT&T Wireless customers willing to lend me a hand here?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by munkymanmatt, Jul 24, 2013.

1. munkymanmatt macrumors newbie

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm based in Ireland and bought my girlfriend an old 3gs a long time ago, she's still using it as we are tight for cash at the moment, things are pretty bad over here.

When I bought the phone it was jailbroken, we left it that way for a while but it got to the stage where the glitches became unbearably bad. I removed the jailbreak by updating iOS and the phone turned out to be network locked (d'oh!)

I rang apple and eventually found out that the phone is locked to AT&T in the USA. I then rang them and they said that unless we have the original receipt for the phone (we don't) then only an AT&T customer can get it unlocked.

Obviously AT&T don't operate over here, and I've no relations in the US that can help as none of them are on AT&T!

What I'm asking is if there's anyone here who is on AT&T who could do me a huge favour and ring AT&T to get the phone unlocked for me? :D

Thanks
    M

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You don't need an AT&T customer to unlock the iPhone for you. Just go to swiftunlocks.com, pay them $2 and it should be unlocked shortly after. You don't need to send the iPhone in and it doesn't need to be jailbroken either.

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

^^^^THIS^^^^

Enjoy you unlocked phone!:)

4. munkymanmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

That site says they send you a code, but iphones dont unlock like that? You restore the phone and apple's activation server allows the phone to be unlocked, how can you put a code into the phone to get that to happen? Seems dodgy to me.

5. TheProFTW macrumors regular

6. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Actually those sites do work. I've had friends who have used them to unlock iPhones they bought from the U.S. For some reason they say that they will send you a code, but when you get the confirmation email, just restore it with iTunes and you will get the unlock message.

7. munkymanmatt thread starter macrumors newbie

8. TheProFTW macrumors regular

9. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

They just have that there for the 95% (maybe a slight exaggeration, but a lot do) of other phone types that use an unlock code. For an iPhone, the IMEI is entered into a database that determines which are unlocked. They have the ability to add to that database. They won't send you a code, they will just send you instructions on how to verify it's unlocked.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If it doens't work, PM me. I'll try to get it unlocked for you :D

12. skidmark999 macrumors newbie

How are these sites able to do this?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Magic:)

14. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

we have sources, many just resell, but some of us have direct sources so service is guaranteed.

15. richuam macrumors newbie

They won't send you a code, they will just send you instructions on how to verify it's unlocked.[​IMG]