Any BMW Fans? The all new BMW 7 Series!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by darkus, Sep 25, 2008.

1. darkus macrumors regular

Ok a little offtopic to the topic of cars :p

Looks like a whole host of new 7 Series news came out today, I don't know where to begin. First a must see is the BMW official presentation of this car in which Adrian van Hooydunk takes you in and out of the car and shows it to you bit by bit. Really an amazing car and an amazing way to introduce the public to the car. Great move by BMW.

Here is the link ==> http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/7series/sedan/2008/experience/phase_2/experience.html

Trust me you should visit that site!

Next there are a bunch of wallpapers, catalogues and technical details which are spread among a few threads here ==> http://www.7post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=188

I wanted to summarize all the info but it seems like BMW just dropped it all on us at once so its hard to organzie, maybee someone else can do a better job, but the first few threads has all the vital info. The only piece of info missing at this point is the pricing data and more specifics on the Hybrid version. BTW make sure to check out the wallpaper threads. The new wallpapers BMW released WILL make you drool. (yes i'm now officially a 7 series fan boy :)

Hope you guys enjoy. I havent been excited about a 7 series BMW ever in my life until today :) :)

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

Yup, it's still boring as all hell. For the amount of money they want for that car it should either get 80mpg or be badass fast. But since it isn't fast then it should get awesome gas mileage instead. I mean really $76k for that? If I was going to spend that much on a car I'd get some American muscle like a Dodge Viper.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You've clearly missed out on the ENTIRE point of the 7 series.

It's a luxury people mover, all that money goes into making the car ride as comfortable as possible.

5. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I don't like it. :eek:
    Throw me a new M6 six though, and I'll be sure to drool. :cool:

6. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

It's alright, still it's sad the 3 Series is the best looking BMW... Well of Course the M3. But for some reason the new 7 Series reminds me of a Lexus, would I buy it? IDK, if I had this kinda money and looking a big 4-Door luxury car. I would need to do some research and 24 hour test drive in it's class.

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

ssold my little ti in january. man I miss that car. most fuel efficient beemer ever and looked great. loved the hatchback too.

8. dmw2692004 macrumors member

wow, silly bmw, stop copying the back of the lexus's.

ugly.

The front end looks like a 5 series, the back end looks stupid imo. I would much prefer the older 7 series. It is supposed to be the "luxury" line of the BMW's and they keep adding "sporty" features to it. It looks like they made the car a little less narrow, and a little longer. I would much prefer a car with a wider stance for the sheer fact that it handles a little better. I kind of wish they would have gone through with the discontinuation of this line of cars, because I dont think that this will actually sell.

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I prefer BMW styling over Lexus and MB (albeit, that one MB class from National Treasure 2 was cool). I think it looks a bit more refined. BMW & MB have their own styling - each is distinct. Lexus looks the most homogenized. I know they're supposed to be good quality, but I just couldn't spend that much money on a brand that hasn't been around that long and looks like several other cheaper cars on the road.

I'd never spend $80k on a car. Ever - if I had $80k to spend, I'd buy a '98 M5 second-hand (the best looking body style) and spend the rest on a nice vacay. Two nice vacays.

The best looking 7 series was the mid 90s. I think this top of the line Bimmer looks a bit redundant in comparison to the rest of the lineup. Nice looking, not breathtaking, not "Oh good god WOW!" not eye-catching.

10. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

It is definitely still boring. It looks too much like Lexus LS 460 for my taste. I'm sure its a nice car, but I'd still rather have an S550 or S600 or better yet an AMG S65. Sure, they're more expensive, but if I'm already spending $80k-$100k+ on a car, why not go all the way?

Looks are definitely subjective, but I think I'd rather have an M3 coupe or sedan or even a standard 3 series coupe than the 7 series.

11. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I loooove the 6-convertible hate the 7-series. Prefer S550 over 7-series.

12. iGav macrumors G3

Apparently not.

13. c073186 macrumors 6502a

lol; did you see the list of years at the first part of the video? Between like 1970-something and today there were like 5 revisions; the last one being in 2001. I'm sorry but I find it a little bit pathetic when they update their vehicles only once per decade.

14. darkus thread starter macrumors regular

Really????! I always considered it a testament to engineering if a car (or any device) if it didn't need to be constantly revised. For example, american cars get overhauls every 3-4 years because they aren't well designed to begin with in my opinion.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It looks boring, but this type of executive saloon is always boring. This BMW isn't exclusively boring. However, if I were old, rich, and lost touch with what's cool in the world now and just wanted something big and safe, I'd probably get the big Mercedes S-class.

16. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

17. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

For that much money I'd personally want a Porsche Targa, totally different class of car but in my opinion not a boring "luxury" car with a high price tag.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Much better. Really didn't like the last iteration.

19. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

its been toned down and I think it looks quite nice. I'd rather go with a 5 series though, more practical.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

In my opinion, it looks pretty similar to the old model, except the back.

I think it looks OK as well, but again, this type of car is expensive and big, not cool. They rarely look great to people with a taste for beautiful things. Anyway, compared to its competition, I'd say the look is decent. Compared to most other cars, I'd rather have something else.

21. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

you young ones that keep comparing it to other 'sport" cars.... Thats NOT what this car is designed for. its for the rich that can have this BMW and the sports car. have you ever ridden in one? you feel like your in bed, going 75 miles an hour down the interstate. its wont look fast it wont look compact. its not supposed to be. we know you want 2 seats and and a clutch. this is not the car. this has 4 seats and space.

look at it for what it is not for what its not.

22. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

I agree and this is how I look at it. This is something that my driver would drive me to my meetings in, as I am in the back seat looking important. This is what this car is for, to be driven around in. I could care less how sporty it is, as long as it's smooth and has toys in the back. This goes with the Merc S-Class, these are not drivers cars. They are plain and simple rider cars. But I still say, the 7-Series looks like a damn Lexus...

23. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

At first I didn't like it when I saw it a few months back. Then I saw some pictures in charcol and/or black and it does look good. I think it will really depend on what color it is in (even though it shouldn't!).

Based on looks, if I was putting that much money down I'd go with an A6 or an S6. Plus you definitely can't beat Audi interior in the category right now.

24. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I agree - the last one (ever since Chris Bangle designed it) they've been downright hideous. Easily distinguishable, but hideous.

If I was going to spend that kind of money, my choice. In my personal/professional/pedantic opinion, these are one of the nicest looking cars currently in production.

25. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

It definitely wouldn't be hard to beat the interior look of that BMW, can anyone say boring? After seeing a few interior photos of that 730D, there is no question I'd prefer an S550, unless the BMW has some amazing device that makes it handle significantly better than the S-Class (which handle great, imo).