Any buyers remorse for Griffin Survivor All Terrain for 6+?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jmantn, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jmantn macrumors 6502

So debating on ordering the Survivor all terrain for the 6 Plus.

I've narrowed it down from the following companies and reasons:

1.otterbox
    The issues experienced with the 6 cases don't instill confidence and their time frame for cases is TBD

2. Ballistic
    Awesome case I'm using now but slippery back however rubber corners help. Grips pocket, the corners may as well be hooks when wearing Gym shorts. Best buy version according to Ballistic's customer service isn't compatible with their holster which u can order separately. Have better cases for the 6 and according to their customer service no plans to make the explorer or hard case for the 6 plus which I would have waited for. It's a shame as their 6 + Cases are legit but missing something.

3. Speck
    Mighty shell according to their customer service isn't coming to the 6+.

This was my short list after reading countless reviews from here and ilounge.

So wondering if anyone has had any specific issues with the 6+ version of the survivor all terrain such as poor call quality or screen protector not as flush.

2. jmantn thread starter macrumors 6502

Well did see a review from mobilereviewseh that stated the case's iSight camera cover diffuse's the pic quality, basically washing out the photo. Also states it diffuse's the HD screen but notes the more you use it the less you'll notice.

Bummed by the camera remark as I take a lot of photos.

3. jmantn thread starter macrumors 6502

So I got this case today and here's my thoughts:

As someone who's had an otterbox for the 4s, 5, 5s this case is wonderful. I actually believe this case could take more of a beating then any of my otterboxes which by the way I never had any issues with them.

This case does add bulk but at least perception wise I'd say I perceive this to be slimmer simply because otterbox has the plastic shell that covers most of the bezel at the top and bottom of the display. I use to think that meant better protection however I have no doubts the survivor with its size able lip protection wouldn't fare just as well if not better.

The Survivor all terrain is Touch ID compatible and does have a thin membrane covering the home button and I truly appreciate that as on my Otterbox for the 5S things would always slip under my screen protector as Touch ID was fully exposed.

I simply cannot praise enough how well made this case is and compared to previous survivor cases it appears the company listens to feedback and has done an outstanding job with this product.

I've heard there was issued with the screen protector not sitting flush and I'm pleased to say this was not the case for me and it fits fine in all the corners and even in the center of the screen, I experienced no "tap" effect what so ever. Also call quality with speakerphone on and off was great. Also the case was a tad wider than a ballistic case for the 6 plus and the rubber intentions on the sides made this grip able for me and again appreciated for the consideration they made with this case. Again one of the best made cases ever.

Sadly I will be returning this case and have already contacted griffin for my RMA number.

The reason? Well there's a short list of cons for me:
    Photos and videos which I take several of almost daily are hazy with this case. Despite removing the camera flap from previous models this has a clear screen built into the case to protect the camera which I like however due to either quality of materials or some other factor (camera appears to be flush with screen) the resulting images and videos seem slightly washed out and hazy around lights. This above all else is why I'm returning the case and while I could have easily removed that clear film cover I shouldn't have to.

Also another slight annoyance but not a deal breaker is that the rubber guards that stick out on the back are slippery while the majority of the back isn't slippery the way the phone fits in my hand it ends up with my fingers on the slippery bumper parts.

I believe I will be going with ballistic for now but Should Grifin correct the camera issue I will certainly buy a case from them again as they have proved that they do listen and that they want happy customers and the effort put into this case isn't being overlooked. To the company from TN that could I say if u fix it I'll be back :)

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

If you haven't already, give the Pelican Voyager a shot. I just bought it and love the protection, form factor, and the grip is great!

5. jmantn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply but gonna stick with Ballistic until Griffin fixes the issues. Pelican seems nice for moderate protection but as an ex military individual with an active lifestyle I tend to prefer max protection.