Any carrier specific info on iPhone backup??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by class77, Oct 25, 2012.

1. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Currently running an iPhone 4 and I'm switching carriers from AT&T to Verizon. I've ordered a new iPhone 5 and I'm trying to figure out whether I should restore from my AT&T/iPhone 4 backup or not....Is there an carrier specific info that could mess up a restore or should I just set it up as new.

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

you can use your backup form your 4..doesnt matter the carrier

that being said. i recommend setting up as a new phone, myself as others have had battery issues restoring from a back up

3. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

its fine I did the same move from AT&T to Verizon exactly a month ago lol

4. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

If I do that, won't I lose all the data I have accumulated over the last 2 years?

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Yup

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

depend what you mean by data..

contacts=sycn to icloud/outlook/gmail/address book/
    photos/videos= open device on your computer finder (mac) or my computer (windows) copy them to the computer.. then resync them on new phone
    Purchases (apps, music etc) = either go to itunes and redownload your purchases. or right click device "transfer backups"to add them to itunes.

you will looks app data.. game saves etc.

7. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

Of course I meant app data...I know Contacts, iCal, purchases sync differently

----------

Thanks Tymaster

8. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

only if you restore from iCloud or backup will you be able to keep your game saves and stuff

9. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

It's fine I've switched back and forth between AT&T and T-Mobile a couple of times over the past 4years with my iPhones. Always restored from backup.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would restore from the backup of your previous phone. More likely than not you will be fine and won't have any issues.

Worst case, if you DO have issues from restoring that are so bad that you might as well start fresh, you can always just wipe the phone and start over as a fresh install, whenever you like.

11. class77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

Yea, I've restored 4 new iPads that were all wifi, so I know what I'm doing. Totally comfortable with how and what is restored.

I just didn't know if the iPhones were different because they were tied to a phone number and I didn't know if phone number or carrier specific info were present. I'm not porting my current number until I find out if the Verizon service in my area is working well. Gonna keep the old AT&T line working for the 2 week trial just for that purpose