Any chance graphics will get a boost in 2013 for the rMBP 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Radiating, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Radiating macrumors 65816

Don't get me wrong the current one is a hell of a laptop, with a 1,800 passmark 7 rating (overclocked to max stable settings) , it's in the top of its class. But I can't help but feel I want more.

Say 50% more.

What are the chances Apple will put an even bigger beast in the next gen?

2. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

No chance in hell we're getting 50% more power in the next refresh. lol

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Not very big.
    The new chips will still be 28nm. There is no fundamentally new GPU architecture. We just had the switch from a very power hungry arch. to the quite efficient Kepler. Where Nvidia pretty much went from being less efficient than AMD to being more efficient in one stroke.
    There are diminishing returns. Until now all we got are rebrands of the same GPUs. I would say 20-25% is what one can realisitcally be expected a bit more on the IGP side but 50% is rather unrealisitic.

I also doubt that the Quad Core Haswell get the best GT3e GPU. I think they will only get the updated GT2 and the best GPUs Intel will only put in the Dual Cores where they are needed for they are more likely to be in notebooks without any dGPU. The Quad Core chips with the GT3e would be quite huge in 22nm. Not so big that it is impossible as at 200 something sqmm Ivy Bridge isn't exactly big compared to things like some GPUs or Itanium but still unlikely especially in its current strecthed layout.

I would say for a significant boost in performance for the 15" Retina you need to wait 2 Generations. Broadwell with 14nm and a single SoC Quad Core might be quite the change in battery life and may offer quite a speed bump. Nvidia Maxwell is 20nm and on the roadmap for 2014. 20nm should be ready by the end of this year but afaik there are no products in the GPU department planned for anytime before 2014. Might be there is a GPU only refresh before Broadwell but depends on how well 14nm works for Intel. If 14nm has problems there won't be a Broadwell until the end of 2014 in which case Nvidia is most likely quicker. Afaik AMD doesn't plan anything for this year in 20nm either.