Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asphyxiafeeling

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Cali baby!
do you guys think it's possible?

i have the opportunity to get a macbook over the next few months as a going-to-college gift. i was planning on saving for one anyway, so naturally i am very excited.

the only thing i'm stuck on is on if i should wait for a revison or not... i don't care about a new alu. look or anything, just specs..

a better processor... i honestly don't think the improvment would be huge.

X4500... would be nice, but integrated is still integrated. if i want to game that badly i'll spend a little bit on a desktop.

the only other thing i'd care about is having an upgrade on that 5400 RPM HD. i plan on fiddling around with garageband/logic, and i've heard 5400 cannot cut it in some situations.

so anyway, i'm just looking for opinions. do you guys think apple will allow it as an option? or will they save this for macbook pro users?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Probably not. For the MacBook's intended uses a 7200 rpm drive isn't necessary.

According to the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, the MacBook isn't due for an update anytime soon. Link

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
It's a 5 second operation to replace the HD on a macbook.

You get 300GB laptop hds very cheaply nowadays. Just buy a cheap macbook model (e.g. white C2D Santa Rosa superdrive from Apple Refurb), stick in 4GB RAM and a large HD and you'll have a better machine than Apple's top of the line MB.

Due to HD mechanics, a 320GB 5400rpm might well perform better when 180GB full than a 200GB 7200rpm when 180GB full.

I was hoping to get the Samsung Spinpoint M6 500GB 5400rpm HD which was supposed to come out last month, but I've kinda given up hope on it ever coming out. It's supposed to be about $300, and at this moment, a 320GB for $100 is just better value.

I feel that research and development of top-end laptop HDs is being killed off in favour of SSD flash drives. A 256GB laptop flash drive is coming out any moment, and it won't be long before a 512GB flash comes out, finally beating all laptop hard drives in terms of capacity.

asphyxiafeeling

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Cali baby!
It's a 5 second operation to replace the HD on a macbook.

You get 300GB laptop hds very cheaply nowadays. Just buy a cheap macbook model (e.g. white C2D Santa Rosa superdrive from Apple Refurb), stick in 4GB RAM and a large HD and you'll have a better machine than Apple's top of the line MB.

Due to HD mechanics, a 320GB 5400rpm might well perform better when 180GB full than a 200GB 7200rpm when 180GB full.

I was hoping to get the Samsung Spinpoint M6 500GB 5400rpm HD which was supposed to come out last month, but I've kinda given up hope on it ever coming out. It's supposed to be about $300, and at this moment, a 320GB for $100 is just better value.

I feel that research and development of top-end laptop HDs is being killed off in favour of SSD flash drives. A 256GB laptop flash drive is coming out any moment, and it won't be long before a 512GB flash comes out, finally beating all laptop hard drives in terms of capacity.

thanks for your input.

sounds like a good idea, i'll definitely consider it. i was raising some brows on apple's overpriced RAM options anyway.

i suppose another option if the 5400 really isn't cutting it, i can just get an external HD. it's not likely i'll be trying to record music outside of my bedroom anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.