iPad Any chance of a 256 GB iPad 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SteelWheel, Sep 11, 2013.

1. SteelWheel macrumors member

I'm often stupidly slow: I got the original iPad from AT&T (64 GB with 3G) and got the (truly) unlimited data plan available then and still "grandfathered" for newer iterations of iPad.

I got the 2 when it came out, and intended to transfer all my content over and make that the primary iPad--but by that time, I had so much content, I couldn't make it all fit (Thank you, Comixology). So I just used the 2 as an "around the house" (or wherever wifi was available) thing. Got the 3, again intending to migrate--too many life issues going in, so I set that one aside.

When the 4 came out, with the 128 GB, I thought my problems were solved--I really could probably get all my comic books onto that, I thought.

Well, still haven't had time for it. I have a NIB souped-to-the-max iPad 3 and 4, never opened. I could probably just sell 'em both to Gazelle, which would make my purchase of the 5 nearly "free"--and this time dammit, I'm gonna block out a weekend to transfer all my content, no matter what.

This is probably what I'm going to do in any case--unless there's a strong whiff out there that the rollout of iPad 5 is going to be relatively "late". I can struggle along with the iPad 1 for another month or so. Even if the 5 takes a little longer to hit the market, I'd definitely wait for a 256 GB model. I know I'd be able to fit all my comics on that--and still have room for games, movies, and some real live "productivity enhancing" apps as well.

Thoughts? (If you're still reading, that is...)

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

With iCloud as one of their main selling points, I'm not sure that we'll see a 256GB iOS device anytime soon. The only reason they released a 128GB model was to quell the competition that Surface was providing.

We don't get breakdowns by models sold, but I'd be willing to bet that the 128GB model is in last place behind any other iPad model, including Minis.

3. inboxer macrumors regular

I doubt they'll release a 256GB. As stated in the earlier post, Apple wants to push iCloud and wants you to pay for the extra storage just like other cloud storage companies. Also the higher capacity drives are a small share of the market since the incremental cost is higher. I can see their margins being higher one these since its simply the same device with a bigger hard drive. I sold my iPad 1st gen to Gazelle awhile back. Sold my iPad 2 to BuyBackWorld since they pay more cash. I'll definitely sell my iPad Retina to buybackworld when the iPad 5 comes out - I can't stop upgrading.

4. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

The Surface didn't seem to provide much competition - Microsoft took a huge writedown (wasn't in $ 900 million or so) and cut the price by $ 100 or so.

6. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Definitely not. We will probably see a 128GB iPad5 though.

7. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Don't be stupid and/or ignorant. Different user, different needs. People who want to carry more movies with them than you. People who have more music than you. Photographers who need to have more photos on their devices to present. All of them who can't rely on the almighty "download your media only when you need them" cloud for this stuff because of ridiculous throttled data plans of the carriers. Etc.

On topic: Like others said, I doubt that there will be a 256 GB iPad soon. 128 GB is the most we can get at this moment.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Not a chance. 128GB was just released this year.

9. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Unless.....

I had misread or hear wrong the news, the famous leak of the "iPhone 5S Gold color option with 128 GB storage" do not materializes in the event yesterday. Same will occur for the 256 iPod or iPad.......Storage is a commodity in mobile devices and seems to me that Apple are not getting enough demand for bigger storage in their mobile devices. Still, Apple have to balance their act to hit a new "sweet spot" in terms of price vs storage.

No doubt Apple can negotiate better OEM price for the flash storage chips. And even buy a factory if needed....Or even better, just for trying/testing, offer the option with a premium (affordable one, I will note.....)

:):apple:

10. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I'm guessing the 128GB iPad isn't very popular since I don't think it has appeared in the refurb store online yet.

With that being said, I need the 128GB model and that's the sole reason I'll be getting the iPad 5 :)

11. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

No, for the same reason the iPhone won't get 128GB storage option: 128GB NAND modules are expensive and impractical at this point. The only reason the iPad has a 128GB option is because it holds 2 NAND modules, so Apple could put 2x64GB in it.

12. shopboy0301 macrumors member

256 gb iPad

Don't think so maybe in 3-5 years getting the iPad 5 can't waut:)

13. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Lmao. That title gave me a chuckle. Then I realized he was serious :eek:

14. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Wow, like 3 'iPhone 128 where are you' threads and no one mentioned this!

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

With the way Apple overcharges on the storage upgrades, it would cost a fortune for one.

16. MorphMan macrumors member

I read somewhere that the only reason Apple could justify a 128Gb iPad was due to some corporate orders that needed the space.

There's no chance of a 256G iPad for the next couple of years.

I like to store a lot of video on my iPad (for flying and travelling without Internet) and 64G is a bit tight but 128G would be more than enough.

If you're needing to carry around 256Gb of stuff you should probably reassess why. Maybe a Macbook Air with USB3 HDD or if it's music a classic iPod.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I doubt it for a couple of years. The 128GB iPad was just created this year, and it starts at $799. It's kind of an iPad Pro, made for people who need a crapton of storage for work. As much as I'd love to have that much storage on an iPad, I'm honestly not stretching it too much with my 32GB model. I'm spoiled from having 64GB in the iPad 2, but I mostly just crammed all the movies I could on there along with tons of photos. It also wouldn't be bad for keeping a ton of magazines on hand, but I also don't keep much music on here.

Ironically what I really want is a 128GB iPhone. I always have it with me and use it much more for music, plus it's also what I use for taking videos. As using AirPlay with Apple TVs gets easier, I need that space to keep some movies on my phone to play at my parents' place and any others who have an ATV. It'll make a huge difference there if they go through with switching to LTE service for all their Internet. Even at 10GB, you can't easily stream a 4GB movie very often.