Any chance of a larger Scorpio Black soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammich, Nov 16, 2009.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm about to upgrade the HDD in my 3 year old MBP, and the 320GB version is a good size for me (considering how old the laptop is). I'm just curious as to when WD would be bringing out a bigger 7200rpm drive for laptops. The black has been out a while and it's been through a few revisions.

Has there been any news?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As far as I know, there is only one 500GB 7200rpm 2.5" drive which is from Seagate and it has had some problems.

If 320GB is big enough for you, then I'd get it because if 500GB Scorpio Black comes, it'll be expensive in the beginning

3. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I haven't got any problems with it. Since the not-so-new-anymore firmware came out, all problems have been a thing of the past, I believe.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Nice to hear! I just remembered that I've seen threads about its problems here and NewEgg's reviews had some negative things but good if they are in the past now.

5. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

Hmm, this is definitely food for thought. I was all set for the Black because this is an older computer. The Black does have lower latency and much higher IO than the 7200.4, but the Seagate has much more space and much higher average write speed.

But capacity aside: would IO (avg 140 vs. 105)/latency rank (write lag 7ms vs. 13 ms) above average write speed (63MB/s vs. 77MB/s from tomshardware)?

(then again, all of those reviews would have been conducted before any new revisions/firmware, argh, why is this decision so hard!)