Any chance of a MBP update in febuary??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jakedono, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Jakedono macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Now I know this will be branded as "another one of those threads"....but can you hear me out.

I am in the Market for 13" MBP. I have looked in all of the threads and most peoples predictions vary. I am going traveling at the beginning of march and wanted to know if there was any chance of an update before then or should I just go off and buy one now?

Thx in advance :)

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

There may be a high chance of an update but no one can give you a definite answer, sorry. If your travels start early March, I suggest you hold off until then. If you must have it now, buy it now.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There is a possibility, but nobody knows for sure. The best advice is to not worry about upgrades and just buy when the computer does what you need it to and your old one does not.

4. INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dual core Sandy Bridges will be released on February 20th, so unless Apple gets early access, it won't happen before that.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I am going to stick with March because only 28 days exist in February, which gives it a lower statistical odds of being the month in which a new MBP is released.:confused:

7. mrsavage1 macrumors regular

This is a very illogical way of thinking. The only statistical probability that matters would be the pervious rounds of refresh periods all pointing to a feburary purchase date, which macrumors keeps.

I believe late feb has a very high chance of a refresh

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Only if you take it seriously rather than as a joke.... ;)

9. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

my wish list in 2011

1.mbp update ASAP; at this point, I don't care.. just release the damn machine already
    2.ipad 2 w/ HIGH res SOON
    3.iphone 5 in june in VERIZON
    4.apple tv 2 w/ 3rd party app support: air video!!!!

10. pedrofan, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

pedrofan macrumors 6502

Don't expect new macbook pros before april.

They usually keep two months between their product upgrades, as they have to let some time to people to buy the previous product without distractions of new ones. If they upgrade ipad in the next few weeks, they will wait, at least, a month or two to release new macbook pros, as they compete with iPad protagonism.

This is my bet for 2011. It is not that hard to make predictions, as they usually acts so predictable.

February - Ipad 2
    April - Macbook Pro
    June - iPhone 5
    September - iPod line (three months gap because of august holydays)
    November - iMacs

I have an old fujitsu laptop that is dying between my hands, and I am as dessesperated as you for the macbook pro upgrade. I have the daily fight with myself for not buying the current Macbook pro model and waiting.

It is so hard, but we have to wait... Or not ;)

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm with you on the majority of those dates but why wouldn't they update the iMac in mid-summer (July) like last year?

12. pedrofan macrumors 6502

"Small" spec upgrades happens every 6 months or so with macbook pros and Imacs. July upgrade was a small upgrade. But big imac upgrades usually comes in november.

I think that macbook pros and Imacs are going to take a big upgrade this year, not only in internal hardware. It should be so strange that they upgrade more than one product at the same time or even closer than two months.

Don't forget that Lion is going to be released in summer, so don't be surprised if they wait till June to release new macbook pros, as apple don't follow fashions.

13. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Yes, I think I will describe my state as "dessesperated" from now on.

I'm guessing this is a quasi-portmanteau of desperate + exasperated. That would fit well, me thinks!

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

While my formula was said in a jocular manner, you must keep in mind that
    1) Apple is completely random in their time and pattern of updates
    2) Not all Sandy Bridge processors have even been officially released
    3) Most Sandy Bridge processors that have been released are probably not up to full production quota
    4) The 15 and 17 inch MBP may not get updated at all this time

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

hahahahaha.

16. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

So April maybe?

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Arrandale mbp's were released mid April of last year. If Feb 20 is the release date of dual core SB CPU's, April sounds about right.