Any chance of a new notification system in 4.1...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Aug 31, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

or will we have to wait until at least the iPhone 5 next June/July?

2. shandyman Suspended

very much doubt it, too big a thing to do for a x.1 update, 5.0 at the earliest i reckon

3. w00master macrumors 65816

I highly doubt this will be addressed in 4.1. More like a 5.0 (or beyond) release.

Shame really. Imho, the biggest weakness on the iPhone is how it handles notifications.

w00master

4. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea there is no question that the lack of a true notification system is the single biggest knock on the iPhone OS for almost every power use.

5. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Another area where iP4 fails miserably. You can't claim to have the best smartphone on the market and not have basically functionality that less expensive and low end phones have. Like copy and pate background system notifications are going to take a very long time to implement.

6. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes they can b/c they DO have the best smartphone on the market even with this one shortcoming. Every smartphone has it's shortcomings and the iPhone excels in almost every other area. That being said, I hope a new notification system comes sooner rather than later.

7. mrathee macrumors 6502

Why assume it WILL even be in the next iteration?

Yea, it could come in ios5, or 6 or 7, or it could never come.

Apple designs their devices and software a certain way for a reason. Yea, for the consumers it wasn't the perfect way to do it (after seeing the android solution) but as we all know, apple has their own way of doing things.

I wouldnt count on it coming until you hear something official about a new system being in the works.

8. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Notice I said "at least the iPhone 5."

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Because for the last 3 years I've placed the "top 3 needs" as:
    - Cut and Paste
    - Multitasking
    - Notification overhaul

Apple needs one big software "thing" to brag about with each new iPhone version. They've done 2 of my 3 things over the last 2 years so I'm highly inclined to believe that 2011 will be the year of a new notification system.

If you disagree with me then you need to tell me what you think the big iOS 5 feature will be. If you have a good one I might say "ohh, I hadn't thought of that!"

But if you're not going to guess anything then I'm not gonna change my mind.

10. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I hope they do change the notification system soon. This is the one biggest thing I miss from my Nexus One.

11. shandyman Suspended

wow, i never knew that you gave steve jobs the list of big things to do for each iteration...

12. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

He actually did. You clearly don't know who he is.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hey, I'm at 2 out of 3 so far!

You'd be amazed how many don't know. I try to get free lunches by saying "I'm Small White Car!" but it never works.

14. anfield11 macrumors 6502

Obama, is that you? If it is keep up the good work. But you are f in up the U.S. economy...well done!

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that it took a long time to get cutting/pasting and that was a feature that the majority of people clamored for. I don't see apple rushing to change the notification system without re-working the UI. That being the case, in my estimation. I'm not so sure we'll see anything for the foreseeable future.

How many regular consumers are complaining about the notification system? I suspect not too many.

16. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I disagree with this statement. I think Apple is trying hard to further penetrate the business market and the lack of a true notification system is definitely a detriment to a majority of THOSE users. I think if Apple wants to further compete with RIM in the business arena they need to continue to increase their device security, need a proprietary device messaging network (similar to bbm) and they need to improve their notification system. If they can perfect those three items, there will not be a single reason an end user (whether for personal or business use) would choose a Blackberry over an iPhone.

17. err404 macrumors 68020

A notification system could be implemented much easier than many of the past features. For example, cut and paste required conforming to text standards and multitasking was a new API.
    Sorting the currently existing pop-up notifications happens in the OS and should not impact the way apps are written.
    Still, I doubt it will happen in 4.1.

18. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

It doesn't hurt they have the Palm OS notification guy working for them.

Can someone give us an example of the notifications you guys want or have issues with? I just want to answer texts in the regular app like they do in bite sms.

19. shandyman Suspended

yea, they've obviously got him to overhaul the notification system, or it'd be a waste to have him....

20. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Three things I want (2 software, 1 hardware). In terms of hardware I'd love a blinking light whenever I have an unread email/text or a missed call/voicemail. It could/should be something like the MBP blinking light when its on sleep and could also be a white light so it's not distracting like the red Blackberry light.

In terms of software, I want my lock screen to show a simple list of my messages (text and email) and how many missed calls I have and from whom. Finally, once the phone is unlocked I want the top bar (where the time is) to have a mail notification icon, text notification icon and missed call notification icon.

Implementing these three items would make the iPhone significantly more powerful than it is currently.

21. shandyman Suspended

if you have the latter, why have the former? i highly doubt you're ever getting a flashing light.

22. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

The blinking light - lets you know you have a notification when you miss the popup and your screen is off.

The lock screen notification - supplies more detail so when you see the blinking light, you click the home (or power) button and see exactly what your notification is for.

The icons on top are so that if you're in an app or simply on the home screen you can see exactly what notifications you need to check without having to turn the phone off so you can look at the lock screen. There should also be an option that if you're in an app and you get a text message, you could prevent having a popup interrupt what you're doing and it will ONLY appear on the top notification bar (same with email but you don't get a popup now anyway).

All three are important and perform different functions.

23. w00master macrumors 65816

Personally, I would *not* want a blinking indicator light. It's too Blackberry for my taste. Also, I have enough (personal) issues constantly checking my iphone for new messages, emails, etc. already. I don't want yet another reason to constantly check my iPhone.

I have enough distractions in my life. LOL.

To each their own.

w00master

24. shandyman Suspended

but if you have the lock screen notification then you don't need the blinking light unless you're too lazy to just quickly push the home button or power button? :rolleyes:

personally, i don't think we need any more icons at the top, don't want it all cluttered, i've seen android screens with overcrowded icons on the top, it's just ugly.

25. n00basaur macrumors regular

I don't want the stupid blinking light. That's for christmas decorations.