Any chance of a price drop with MMB?

merrymoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Hey -

I have been going back and forth between the idea of getting a macbook or an iMac...

I was recently set on getting an iMac until I saw my cello teacher's new macbook, and it is gorgeous!!

I can't spend over $1100 on a computer (that's my price after edu. discount) and I was wondering if there was any likelihood of a price drop on the macbooks with the release of merom... I would really like a dvd burner and a bigger hard drive... thank you!

::edit::

I just realized that refurb. core duo macbooks (2.0GHZ, Superdrive) are 1100, so this is an option too - will the price on refurbished core duo macbooks go down with the release of C2D?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I doubt we'll see a price drop. The Core 2 Duo chips are coming in at the same price points as the Core Duo. We could see a few more other bumps like RAM or hard drive, but I wouldn't count on it. My money says that the price points will stay the same. But I don't know anything. :)

merrymoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
how long does it usually take for new refurbished models to show up in the apple store after the new models are released??

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
merrymoon said:
how long does it usually take for new refurbished models to show up in the apple store after the new models are released??
The search function would tell you that there are already refurbished models of the current Core 2 Duo iMac and Core Duo Macbook. ;)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
u need to check refurbished list daily
also, check compusa and microcenter store after the release of new MB.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
at this point, i think it is safe to say Apple's business plan includes pissing everyone off and not putting Merom in their notebook line.

Graeme A

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
pianoman said:
at this point, i think it is safe to say Apple's business plan includes pissing everyone off and not putting Merom in their notebook line.
Read this from PC World.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127021/article.html

"...Should you kick yourself for buying that Core Duo notebook in May?

PC World tests suggest you shouldn't sweat it too much. Notebooks get only a small performance boost with Intel's new processor, formerly code-named Merom, and battery life appears to remain about the same..."

Maybe Apple is not so dumb after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.