Any chance of Adobe Creatives Suites coming to the Mac App Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by srxtr, Dec 15, 2011.

  1. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #1
    Title says it all. I'm hesitant in buying the software now because I'd rather buy it from the Mac App Store if it becomes available.
     
  2. MacVibe macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2009
    #2
    I can't imagine anyone at Adobe would be too excited about giving Apple 30% of the revenue, nevermind the fact Adobe already is deeply invested in their own DRM scheme which only allows for two installs per license.

    I also can't imagine anyone at Adobe would be too excited about reevaluating their entire marketing and pricing strategies. To be in the app store means giving up on traditional avenues, e.g. box sales through big box retailers or over the internet.

    If a digital download store is in Adobe's near future, I think it would be more lucrative for them to manage it themselves since they already have the infrastructure, name-brand, and marketing skills to make it work.
     
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #3
    I agree. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Adobe apps on the Mac App Store.
     
  4. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
  5. NMF macrumors 6502a

    NMF

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2011
    #5
    Thing is, Adobe isn't getting 100% of the revenue when you buy a boxed copy at retail either. Does anyone know what their margins actually are for CS5. 30% might not be much worse, considering they get ALL of the remaining 70% and don't need to pay for disc pressing, boxes, shipping or even the bandwidth you'll use to download the software.

    Of course, selling digitally themselves is still more lucrative, even with the bandwidth.
     
  6. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #6
    They already sell it online through their own site, so they have very little motivation to sell it through apple and make less money.
     
  7. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #7
    They would need to abide by apple design rules, and such I doubt they'd be willing to significantly alter the creative suite apps. More importantly, I don't think they'll be willing to give apple a 30% cut and finally can't you install apps from the MAS on 5 different Macs. That might be sticking in Adobe's craw as well.
     
  8. srxtr thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #8
    Thanks for the response guys. This makes me feel better about buying their boxed version.

    Another thing I worry about, is buying their CS5.5 software now and CS6 comes out few months later, but that's a separate issue.
     

Share This Page