Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burningbright

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Hello! It's my Mum's birthday on the 13th, and she's keen on an iphone. Just wondering if you think there's any chance Apple will announce a price-drop at the event on the 14th? I know 'the spotlight is on laptops' but is there any precedent for announcements concerning a different arm of the company? Of course she'd like it on her birthday, but it's a pricey bit of kit and it's only a day....... Thanks in advance!

stevehp

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
It's not a house, it's a home.
Hello! It's my Mum's birthday on the 13th, and she's keen on an iphone. Just wondering if you think there's any chance Apple will announce a price-drop at the event on the 14th? I know 'the spotlight is on laptops' but is there any precedent for announcements concerning a different arm of the company? Of course she'd like it on her birthday, but it's a pricey bit of kit and it's only a day....... Thanks in advance!

There will not be any iPhone price drop on Tuesday...I'd bet the farm on it.

skiesforme

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008

No, its already subsidized at $199 !

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Oi!!!!

Attachments

• picard-no-facepalm.jpg
    picard-no-facepalm.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 170

ZDDP1273

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Probably not. It's way too early. Plus the 14th is just supposed to be notebooks if I'm not mistaken.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
I would bet big money that the current iphone will stay at the same price its whole lifespan (and quite probably now its subsidized, the next model will be about the same also)

burningbright

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Thanks for the replies! I wasn't optimistic but thought it might be worth checking. Who knows, Apple might get a bigger subsidy sometime- it seems to be the fashion :rolleyes:

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Even if they did, you are well within the 14 day deal, so you could be refunded if that changed occurred... It's unlikely they will make a change because many are complaining about the lack of Apple Hardware updates and media coverage after the iPhone/iPod craze. They are really going to focus on those customers next week, keeping the spotlight off of iPhone, with some new laptops...

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
MRoogle before starting a thread. If you don't find any relevant posts don't ask the community because we don't know, if someone from the community knew, there will be a thread for sure.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
befor the iPhone 3g was even announced I had set aside $500 for an 8gig. I eneded up getting the 16g for $300. The iPhone is really a bargain, just compare it to other phones. Do you actually think there will be a $100 iPhone?I don't think so.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
There is a 100% chance of a price drop on the iPhone this Tuesday.

32 gb - $179 black only (new)
16 gb - $129
8 gb - $79

(Add $19 if not purchased with 1-year contract)

Confirmed. You heard it here first.

Updated to reflect latest info

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Yah they are going to drop the price to 99 cents when you trade in any windows mobile phone. :rolleyes:

Apple should seriously have a promotion though, with a $20 rebate when someone physically trades in a blackberry or another smart phone.

They can load a few hundred pounds of $1.00 bills on a pallet, suspend it from a crane and repeatedly drop it on the phones that were traded in and say "Competitors' phones were literally crushed under the weight of Apple's profits." :D

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
any chance Apple will announce a price-drop at the event on the 14th? I know 'the spotlight is on laptops' but is there any precedent for announcements concerning a different arm of the company

I don't think the iPhone will receive a price drop since it has only been out for three months (mid July to mid Oct), especially after the price-drop controversy with the original iPhone - I think Apple planned their year-long price from day one.
I think there is a good chance we could see a price drop in all of their laptops though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.