Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
I have a friend who is thinking about buying a powerbook, but I am unsure if there is going to be an update in MWNY. I know they just released an update, but let me ask you this: If apple does indeed release a G4 1.4 at MWNY, there is a big difference between a 1.4ghz and 800mhz. I think Apple is going to have to bump up the powerbooks just to stay at least close with the Powermac's. I think Apple likes to stay about 200mhz away from the Powermac with the Powerbook, but I think 400mhz is way to much! 400mhz is half the speed of the Powerbook, we are talking big preformance here.

What do you guys think?

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
We can speculate as much as we want, but we won't know for sure what Steve has in his pocket till WMNY itself. Everything is possible at MWNY, even a PDA!

So, if you can wait a little longer, wait till MW.

My 2 eurocents.

k.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by McFreggle

My 2 eurocents.
k.
Eurosents? hehehe!
I really don't want to go euro :D

I really do hope for an update to the TiBook, mainly because that's what I'm waiting for before I buy, I want the 1Ghz model...but who knows when we will eventually see it :confused:

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
there won't be a 1.4 ghz tibook. but indeed, even a 1 or 1.2 (unlikely) would be nice... though it's not too likely it will happen at mwny... always possible though.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by verbose101

Eurosents? hehehe!
I really don't want to go euro :D

I'm actually perfectly happy using the euro. :)

I wouldn't be expecting apple to bump the speed of the powerbook range at MWNY. Perhaps a month or two after (perhaps), but not then. It's too soon to the last upgrade for that. I agree though, the difference between the powerbook and powermac will be slightly larger than desirable for a while.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
arn's official predictions for updates at MWNY

powermacs: yes
imacs: no
ibooks: no
tibooks: no

arn

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by arn
arn's official predictions for updates at MWNY

powermacs: yes
imacs: no
ibooks: no
tibooks: no

arn

I'll remember that, and quote you after the event ;)

I concur, but that's besides the point :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by britboy

I'll remember that, and quote you after the event ;)

I concur, but that's besides the point :p

Me too...... :) but I think the iMac G4 may get a slight increase in speed as well to help boost it's sales......

Actually I'm hoping that the TiBook with have a case revision somewhere around MWSF... as it'll be 2 years old.... and due for somekind of refresh....... Also if it's 1+Ghz by then I'll be most happy as that's when I'm buying...... :D I'll also be putting , my order in for a G5 at the same time as well........ :D

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Why not an iMac update? I know there is so much speculation on a wide variety of PowerMac updates, but it will have been 6 months for the iMac to have gone not upgraded, just as long ago as the PowerMac (well, the PowerMac dual gig was introduced a little after the SF expo).

I wouldn't be surprised to see the iMac go up to 1GHz and the PowerMacs to go to ____ (you know what? I am not even going to decide what to put in the blank, since many of you will most likely say that I am wrong, considering that everyone has their own little prediction and wishes, and I would not want to ruin them. :)) And I would expect something out of OS X Jaguar and the revision. I am not sure what, but there is more speculation you guys can argue about.

Yukon

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
Minneapolis
Powerbooks...

Dear Mr. Jobs (or Appl. employee canvasing chat/rumor sites),

Why must I wait any longer? In a CompUSA store today, on my way to the Apple section, I passed by the lothesome PC laptop area. While I, once again, have never, do not and will not own a PC (for numerous reasons that only you and the Apple minions could begin to understand), I am patiently (growing ever impatient) waiting for you to stop listening to the CFO types and bring out the best Ti/Powerbook you can - Now! Not when you "sufficiently move/clear channels of existing parts inventory to maximize sales of the present spec. model in this current economy..." Please Steve, I mean Mr. Jobs, there were two PC laptops in the isle with 1600 x 1200 resolution screens. One was the 16" Sony (which I commented on last month) and the other was a 15" Toshiba with a 40GB HD, 512 MB of DDR-RAM, CD-R-RW/DVD-R (combo drive), etc. for $2,400. Even D(H)ell has a 1600 x 1200. Come on, what are all these WinTel folks doing with all of that screen real estate? Again, as I stated before (did you read my previous posts?) there is no better looking laptop on the planet than the Ti, but please, as a graphics professional, don't make me drool over the 1600 x 1200 laptop screens of my PC weenie friends and put up with the jabs they throw. While I hold my own on most comparative points, the screen is always a contentious issue - even with your latest Ti bump. While brighter and with a slightly higher resolution, it doesn't come close to the beautiful, amazingly crisp 1600 x 1200's. And guys, don't flame me because you think the screen items are too small. It's bull. I had no problem and I was using a trackpad with my rather large hands/fingers — Imagine the ease with even a micro-mouse, etc. And, because the screen was so sharp, the smallish icons/type, etc. were clear and easy to read. Therefor, I strongly encourage you to give us design/creative/video professionals a Powerbook with 1600 x 1200 res., DDR RAM, a 1GHz processor and USB 2 / Firewire 2 . Should you see fit to include all of that in a brushed aluminum case (the only material imaginable that would look better and be more durable [no chipping paint] than the Titanium currently used - and please don't bore me with Airport reception concerns using aluminum) and include a SuperDrive, that would be a big bonus - but not necessary. Just raise the bar as high as you can reach, not just to the height that the bean counters/analysts determine to be the best at this moment (near-sighted thinking). I'm ready to buy another Apple laptop. Please let me know when you're ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.