Any chance of free Aperture upgrade?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by osx11, Mar 12, 2012.

1. osx11 macrumors 6502a

Given that Aperture is now available in the App Store, do you think we will be able to upgrade for free once A4 is released?

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

No, my guess is that you will have to pay for it....

3. ndpuckhead macrumors member

I've got 9 days left in my free trial. I'm not sure if I should export everything back to iphoto until it comes out or just pay for it. I can guarantee as soon as I pay for A3, the new one will be available the next day.

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Extremely unlikely.

They usually only do that when new boxed software has been released and you go into the store and buy the old version after the new version has been released. Sometimes there's a short buffer period prior to the new app launch where Apple allows free upgrade as well.

Give the A3 trial a whirl, I too am anxiously waiting for A4.

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

About a snowball's chance in hell, I think. But on the other hand, Aperture has gotten a lot cheaper since its introduction ($499 --> $199 --> $79). For such low prices, I think it's even fair that there is no discount for upgrades if you bought it through the App Store (as of yet). (And even if you have bought the shrink wrapped update like I have, you still have paid considerably more.)

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I truly do not understand why these types of threads exist.... I mean really...

For what it's worth; yeah Aperture 4 will be free. Pick up a copy right next to the free iPads, iPhones, MBP's, MBA's and Mac Pros. Apple is now a non for profit company...

8. Bear macrumors G3

It'll probably be the standard Apple policy for upgrades between major versions. That generally being if you bought it less than 30 days before the new version comes out. Other than that, don't expect a free update for a major version.

9. wbeem macrumors member

Check the store, there's a point-release upgrade available right now. Damn big one, too.