Any chance of getting 64GB on the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OceanView, Mar 3, 2011.

1. OceanView macrumors 65816

I would like to have a 64GB or larger capacity HDD on the next iPhone.
    Have prices come down to where it may be possible for Apple to put it in for $299 price point? If not when? 2012, 2013?

2. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I would say that isn't horribly unlikely. Although the fact that the iPad 2 didn't upgrade to 64GB makes me think it's less likely to happen in the iPhone. But not impossible.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doubt it.
    32GB for a phone should be plenty of storage IMO, 64GB would get pretty expensive and not many would purchase it anyway.
    The most popular model iphone is the 16GB.

4. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

5. Roadking macrumors 6502

The iPad already has 64GB as an option.

6. Roadking macrumors 6502

It isn't plenty of storage for me. I definitely would want a 64GB phone.

7. aussietanker macrumors member

same here ... i would def pay an extra premium for larger capacity:)

8. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Try fitting all your lossless music, pictures, and movies. Then come back to me.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, there are people that would like to bring their whole library with them everywhere but those who would want to kick in an additional $200+ compared to the 16GB model would be few.
    Hope Apple comes up with a way to stream ones library from home to their idevice so we dont have to carry tons of media storage saved locally at all times.

Hey for me it fits fine on my 16GB iphone and I still got 3GB left.
    I know not everyone is the same but 64GB for a phone is a little high. Its good to have the option but you sure wont be able to view/play/listen to all that media at one time.;)

10. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I have a 32GB iPhone 4, and while it's completely full with music and videos, I hardly view/listen to all of that content. Lately I've been just streaming pandora, downloading the daily podcast of my favorite morning radio show, and streaming Netflix at the gym.

So I suppose though I'd want a 64GB iPhone, there really isn't much I think I'd do with it except load more media that I'd hardly use

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It would be nice, if only because my next iPhone would cost $199 and not $299. 32 GB is plenty for me and it would be nice to get it at the lower price point.

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

They better ... 3 years in a row without a storage bump would look bad. I know 64Gb chips have been/still might be a bit expensive, but Apple needs to make the jump sooner rather than later. I know for a fact that I'd buy the next iPhone if it had 64Gb, but if it only has 32Gb I'll hold off til next summer.

13. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

You assume it wouldn't be $399

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think it is possible, however, a lot depends what Apple does with iTunes.

15. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

It's possible, but I highly doubt it will happen. Expect the same old.

16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Right, I don't think Apple would want to add another model. But who knows.

17. Stein357 macrumors 6502

If Apple doesn't move to cloud-based storage I definitely want a 64GB iPhone.

18. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

They might do it just to add an obvious spec bump to the spec sheet. I don't think anything else will see much of an upgrade--the new A5 chip, and just annual/generational improvements in everything else. Maybe they bump the face-side camera to HD?

The only obvious hardware upgrade that they can do is unify the chipset for CDMA and GSM, but literally no one will care about that besides Apple (because of economies of scale in production) and the carriers (because it facilitates switching). Add NFC, but that's more a down-the-road feature than a here-and-now feature.

Looking at the iPad 2, the spec sheet is practically identical but for the cameras and A5. I bet we don't even see an up to 1GB RAM for the iPhone 5.

19. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

This is the answer right here. It all depends on what Apple planing on with the cloud. If you're able to put you whole library on the cloud then 32GB might be the max we'll ever get.

If there not going to do the cloud storage I think they'll come out with a 64GB iPhone because the iPhone has been using 32GB for three years now and the iPod Touch and MBA are using the 64GB now. 64GB should be alot cheaper now

20. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ding ding ding! Your prayers have been answered in 4.3 :D

21. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I hope 32 becomes the normal and we get a 64 upgradable one as well.
    But i doubt it.

22. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

I think he means non-local, which doesn't exist yet.

23. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Verizon owners who travel internationally a lot would care a great deal, but I expect that this isn't a large group of people.

24. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

What on earth would you need 64 gig for? You can't even use your *phone as external storage.

25. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

All this "cloud based" talk has me worried. I for one do not want my files based in the cloud, mainly because I don't think it's worth it. I can see all kinds of problems with data usage overages, lack of signal to pull your files from the cloud, even server outages. Plus, it's an extra service that you have to pay an additional fee for, no thanks. I'd prefer to have all my "need to know on the go" files with me which is why I bought the 32GB version. If there had been a 64GB model I would have bought that instead.

To each his own, but I'd prefer the dependability of having the information I need on my device, instead of having it based somewhere else that's going to cost me more and may or may not be dependable. To those who think that 64GB is overkill, I remember the day when 128K RAM was overkill.:eek: