Any chance of getting Madden 08 Wii at Gamestop tonight?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by bowens, Aug 13, 2007.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I was planning on going to Walmart tonight at midnight to buy Madden 08 but my wife just said she wanted to go to town tonight so I will be close to a couple Gamestops. Do you think there is any chance I could get one of them to sell me a copy a couple hours early? I really didn't want to stay up late tonight but I won't be able to get it tomorrow (I'm having my wisdom teeth pulled first thing in the morning so I don't think I'll be able to drive most of the day, but I want to be able to play Madden while I'm home from work. So what do you guys think? Is there any chance?

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

At GameStop your chances are nil. They usually get the games vis Fed EX or UPS the same day in the mornings. There is the occasional time that they will get them the day before but its more the "normal" for them to get the package on the day of release.

Wally Mart may or may not follow the same rules for games, but I am not familiar with their delivery schedules as i am for GS.

Ed

3. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Yeah, your chances are pretty much not existent. Can't you get someone to pick it up for you? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to go out to the store.

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Has anyone got this game on the Wii yet? If yes, how is is so far vs 07?

<]=)

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

IIRC there isnt a whole lot of change short of some control refinements.

I bought the PS3 version today.

Ed

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I suck at madden but I did read all of them are basically the same except the wii controls.

I was tempted to buy the wii version but bishock in the next week and I can't risk the money:p.

Bless

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Bioshock over Madden... Are you crazy. :p OK, I lie. I would get Bio over Madden. :)

My friend bought All Pro Football 2k8 for his PS3 and said he was going to pass on Madden. So I won't be able to see it besides a game store display. Bleh. I hope he changes his mind.

<]=)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Apparently the PS3 version is broken :confused: EA even said "we understand if you don't want to buy [the PS3 version]"

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Did Sony do something to your family? Jesus man.. It's getting old Jimmi :rolleyes: We know you don't like Sony, you can stop making your normal "Sony is teh suxxorz" asinine comments now.

The PS3 version plays fine, i went through about every mode in the game and got my ass handed to me a few times online and it played just fine. The new kicking system still confuses me though.

So to recap, the PS3 version has no major issues apart from some (very small) frame rate issues, but nothing that I would think would be totally unheard of from a EA game, nor does it take away from the overall feel of the game. Overall if you like football it's probably worth the buy.

Riggs won't buy it cause he phears me :p ;)

Ed

Edit:

Jimmi why don't you get the real quote rather than guessing?

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=19757

It was a very diplomatic response, it had none of the "fanboyism" that you tried to imply. Give it a break Jimmi.

10. Oneness macrumors regular

I have never been a big Madden fan, but I did pick up Madden 08 for the Wii yesterday because I have a friend who loves it and we are going to use the on-line feature to play each other.
    First of all I had to go through like three separate registration processes at EA.com to finally register the game - what a beating.
    Secondly, I only tried a few times to get online but each time when I got the point of picking my 'Persona' it would kick me off and give me the message 'You have lost connection to the EA servers' - oh well. I'll try again tonite.
    Thirdly, man I suck at this game. If I even score against someone on-line I'll be happy.
    Other than that I kinda like the game and am glad I got it. Maybe by November I can give my friend a good game.
    Cheers.

11. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/14/ea-tech-support-explains-ps3-madden-frame-rate-issues/

(Adding to what Ed quoted/stated)
    ...they also said the problem lies with the fact that they've been developing on the 360 for 3 1/2 years, but only a little over 1 year on the Ps3. I hate EA for their bully/buyout tactics, but I'm more than willing to cut them some slack for something like this.

I hate to say this but some of these recent football related anti-Ps3 articles going around 'teh interwebz' are short-sighted. The gloom-and-doom BS going around has approached ignorant levels, and it seems like the only reason for half of these articles is because media critics and writers just like mud slinging. Note to them: give it a break. Meet your quota/deadline with a better article than a bunch of rubbish and defamation of a system in infancy stages.

If Madden 2011 has framerate problems, then I'll break out the pitchforks and tiki torches, but until then...no.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The quote was

Which I fail to see how different it sounds to what I posted :confused: it's the same tone and outcome...

I bring this up because I also fail to see why anyone would purchase the PS3 version over the 360 one. That's all :)

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Awesome, finally its said ;)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

15. AppleGuy2 macrumors newbie

Damn i got Madden 08 last night...I gotta say i love it. Online play is great, and so is single player.

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

This shows how out of touch I am with Madden. I didn't know the Wii version would have online play. :)

<]=)

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

As far as I can tell, they're pretty much identical. I don't see why anyone would purchase the 360 one over the PS3 one either. Vice versa as well.

Only difference is that you get free online play on the PS3 version, and you get a slightly better network on the 360 version (but not free). To each his own.

People'll just buy it for which console they have. If someone has both a PS3 and a 360, they'll buy it for whichever platform their friends are getting it for.

Something tells me that Ed's friends use PS3's :D So he should get the PS3 one.

EDIT: Oh dear, I seem to have made the assumption that Ed has friends.
    I kid, I kid! : )

18. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Another option would be to have the person who is driving you home from the procedure to stop at the gamestore on the way back...quickly run in and pick it up for you.

19. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

20. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i have madden 08 and i don't like it at all. the controls are totally changed from '07 version and graphic wise looks more cartoonish than ever.

gameplay also sucks. good thing i didn't sell my '07 version.

my major gripe is that the remote does not have the pointer on the screen anymore while picking plays and choosing a player pre-snap. audibles are also hard to call now, much like it was in ps2.

oh yeah, how am i supposed to press "1" to try to strip the ball while i am pressing the "B" button. those developers must have HUGE hands!

21. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I got the Wii version, it's a lot of fun, and the graphics are acceptable, but I am kinda annoyed by the team rating system. It seems like every American team is at least a low to mid 80 overall, except the Colts and Pats, who are in the low 90s. The Raiders are not a low 80 overall, in other madden games, they have been like a 70. There should definitely be a wider range of overall ratings, but thats my only real gripe with the game.

I was playing yesterday, it was the second quarter, with 0:26 seconds left on the clock, and Al Michaels says, "We are approaching the two-minute warning." :D

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

So Michael can't tell time. :)

Just waiting to finish my current projects then I'll pick up my copy.

<]=)

23. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I was shocked, I would've guessed the Madden wouldn't be able to tell time :D

BTW, has anyone used the telestrater yet? It's so cool, but you don't always get the option for it, even when you deserve it.

24. AppleGuy2 macrumors newbie

After playing it for a few hours, i have a few gripes about the game. Some of the controls are so F*cked. just as mentioned in a previous post, pushing the 1 button to strip the ball while swinging the wiimote right and left to strip and thrusting it forward to make a big tackle AND pushing forward on the 'chuck! Its nearly impossible. Also, trying to swat the ball? forget about it! you better hope one of your computer players gets in the way (i dont know how many times ive seen the ball hit right in the hands of my player and then fall to the ground...shoulda been an interception, but whatev.

One more thing, for some reason the controllers lag a bit. Like last night, i was playing online, and the guy facemasked me. We had 6 seconds to and i was give the option to go like 1st and 10 ( i was wayyy the fok back) or end the game and win (i was up by 2) anyways, for some reason, when the penalty options come up, it chose 1st and 10! The kid intercepted it and ran in for a TD! I was so pissed. It was a fluke for sure. Anyways, anyone else have gripes about the controls?

25. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I have yet to try it, but if the controls are like the first, It's just a matter of practice to get used to them.. Sorry, I had to state the obvious. :eek:

<]=)