Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
As the title states.. I still have my unlimited data plan, do you think AT&T will make you switch over to one of their new plans or let you keep your unlimited plan?

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
As the title states.. I still have my unlimited data plan, do you think AT&T will make you switch over to one of their new plans or let you keep your unlimited plan?

Not sure what you mean.

If you upgrade at an ATT store simply tell them during the upgrade process that you want to keep your unlimited data.

Simple as that :)

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
to add to this thread, i have upgraded iPhones every year, and this last year i kept bouncing between iphone windows phone and android phones testing some out, and all throughout the transfers i've kept my unlimited plan (of course been asked to switch to their "family shared" plans which would be more expensive in my case)

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I ask because I remember when I ordered my 4S 2 years ago there was a lot of talk about AT&T not letting you keep the grandfathered plan up until the day of. It also wasn't very clear when placing the order if you were keeping it or not, just kinda had to take a leap of faith. Don't know if any of you remember that or not. Ordered through Apple.com

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I think they were going to phase out the grandfathered unlimited data but there were some complaints so they reversed it. But I might be wrong. My brother still has his plan after upgrading last year and they start to throttle him after 5GB of LTE usage, I believe. You won't be forced to switch data plans unless AT&T decides to change their mind as the 5S launches.

Mkg1425

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Verizon does not force you. I still have my unlimited data and have every iPhone since day one. You just have to pay full retail price.
Like last year, 649,749,849 depending on what gb phone you choose.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Verizon does not force you. I still have my unlimited data and have every iPhone since day one. You just have to pay full retail price.

Yeah exactly, but I think the OP is hoping for a subsidized price from AT&T and to keep his plan. As of now, we don't know what the carriers may do. I know that for whatever reason, when I upgraded last year from my iPhone 4S to iPhone 5, the AT&T drone told me it would be the " last time I would be able to do that and keep my unlimited data plan." I don't know why he said this though. Who knows what will happen. I am sure if you call, they probably cannot even tell you that yet either.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
i still have mine since the original iPhone came out with att. currently on my iPhone 5.

iKidWare

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I called AT&T days ago wondering the same thing because I preorder online. They said as long as you don't change anything about your plan you are good to go..

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I work for ATT and you will be able to keep it. All of you with the iPhone 5 should have the unlimited data plan that reads, "Data Unlimited for iPhone 4G LTE."

Upgrading won't affect you guys. Those with the iPhone 4S will have a pro rated charge on their account once a rep changes the feature and puts them on the plan above.

No need to worry, as AT&T allows you to upgrade and the keep the plan as long as you wish. However, the catch is the throttling.

Not sure why people always freak out about this with every iPhone launch. No one freaks out when a new Galaxy phone comes out.

iKidWare

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I work for ATT and you will be able to keep it. All of you with the iPhone 5 should have the unlimited data plan that reads, "Data Unlimited for iPhone 4G LTE."

Upgrading won't affect you guys. Those with the iPhone 4S will have a pro rated charge on their account once a rep changes the feature and puts them on the plan above.

No need to worry, as AT&T allows you to upgrade and the keep the plan as long as you wish. However, the catch is the throttling.

Not sure why people always freak out about this with every iPhone launch. No one freaks out when a new Galaxy phone comes out.
What's the pro rated charge for 4s users?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Plus the LTE throttle is at 5gb, and $30 for unlimited is still cheaper than switching to a 5gb plan by $20.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida

What if I switch from iPhone to Android? (Hide)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
This is how you get conned into losing your unlimited plan.

Oh yeah, you mean the unlimited plan I've had for the past 5 years? I also love how the responsibility is on the company to screw you over, not you to actually inform yourself about the contract you signed. Good times.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
What's the pro rated charge for 4s users?

Let's say hypothetically speaking the new iPhone comes out tomorrow and you received it then lol. Well you would activate your phone by calling AT&T and then they would put you on the "compatible" plan which is what I mentioned above. Your usage would be 0.00mb of unlimited and the previous unlimited plan (iphone 4s data plan) would stop. The new plan would kick in which is why it would be prorated. It would still cost the same ($30). Don't get confused by my wording; your not going to one plan to another. You are just going from feature to feature.

What if I switch from iPhone to Android? (Hide)

You can switch to Android to iPhone and retain unlimited data as many times as you like. Your bill will be a mess though with all the proration charges.

Just always tell the rep you want to keep unlimited. Always make changes to a corporate store AND NEVER LET BEST BUY TOUCH YOUR ACCOUNT!

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I did a chat with ATT yesterday and the person noted that we will still continue to be able to have the grandfathered unlimited plan.

While i feel better, i'll feel 100% when ATT announces it....

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010

Will apple's website allow you to buy the phone at full price? Their online interface doesn't have an option for the off contract verizon phones.

I talked to a local verizon store and they said there's a chance they (the store) wont sell any off contract phones at launch.

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
I recently upgraded to the 5 through the target buy back program. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. However they wanted to change my plan. I said not a chance, the deal is over if I have to loose that. The Target rep called At&T and told them I was a "Loyal" customer and they let me keep my unlimited. I will never give that up no matter what.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007

that's not exactly using your upgrade from your contract plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.