Any chance of Penryn in new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sped, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Sped macrumors regular

I was surfing a bit last night and wondered whether there's any chance the new iMacs might come with Penryn. That would be a fantastic reason to delay the release, but most places seem to think Penryn won't be available until the end of the year even though Intel said 2nd half 2007.

The reason I don't think Penryn would ship in the new iMac is it would make the new iMac faster than the Macbook Pro. Not that this hasn't happened in the past, but it tends not to be the case generally. Until recently, the pro laptop has been quicker than the iMac by a fair margin. Things could change, of course.

What do you think? Could Apple be waiting to pull a rabbit out of their hat with Penryn? Or is the design complete, and they're just waiting for the right marketing opportunity with regard to the iPhone or Leopard release?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I doubt it, the next iMacs will more than likely ship with the Santa Rosa platform and the new Core 2 Duos.

3. theheyes macrumors regular

I was under the impression we wouldnt see Penryn until 2008. So no, probably not. :)

4. superlatic macrumors regular

not just yet

i rec penryn will be not this coming revision but the revision after that,

5. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I'm thinking possibly March 08'.

I'm gonna be in the iMac market this time next year, hopefully by then they'll have some impressive quad core specs :D

6. Sped thread starter macrumors regular

I tend to agree with the previous posts, but I'm also skeptical that there would be any other major technical reason for the extended time between the last revision and now.

For those that mentioned Santa Rosa, Penryn is compatible with SR.