Any chance of scratching my phone when i put it down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danetello, Jan 7, 2011.

1. danetello macrumors 6502

Every time I use my iphone 4 without a case, I am worried that it will get scratched when I place it on my table since its glass. Am I just being paranoid or can placing it on a table damage the back of the phone? :confused:

2. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Yes

Get a case and get rid of your paranoia!

3. danetello thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont really want to lose the feel or look of the phone, so I have ordered a back screen protector and I'll see if that helps

4. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yes it will. Who cares? Enjoy the phone......and get the new one in 6 months.

5. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I think you definitely run the risk of scratches, but you have to decide what you're willing to sacrifice.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

There is always a chance of scratching it when you put it down, but then again, it is gorilla glass. ;)

Have you considered using the bumper or a bumper type case? It doesn't cover up the best parts of the phone but it still allows you to put the phone down without having the glass touch the surface.

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

It's not Gorilla Glass. It's just a special hardened glass.

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

It is NOT Gorilla Glass, as Gorilla Glass is just a brand and the iP4's special hardened glass is for sure quite identical in its qualities.

I do not use a case and my phone is not scratched. 3 months of use - looks like new. I cant see a worse signal drop without the case (incase clip on) either.

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You know, you can always buy the back cover and replace the scratched one with a new one :)

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Or don't get a case, use your phone, and stop worrying about it. In my experience those with cases are hyperparionoid about anything touching their phone...but never really get to appreciate what a fine piece of engineering it is.

11. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

In this case, the OP is paranoid and he doesn't have case on his phone!

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. What is more important to you OP? A scratch free back or the look of naked iPhone.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This I know. I was making a funny. That's why the wink was there. :rolleyes:

14. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Order a power support crystal front and back protector. You wont even know its there (assuming you install it right) and it will protect against small surface scratches.

15. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

just avoid hardened steel, granite and diamonds ;) You guys and your case madness. Enjoy it as it is, pure, with a dash of soda ;)

16. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

yup will scratch, dont worry bout it i mean after the honey moon period you wont care hehe.

i drop mine all the time and its not cracked. but what do i care its insured :)

17. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

my i4 has been caseless since day 1, and there are some scratches on the back.

the back glass is definitely not as scratch resistant as the front

18. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

The back cover costs $29. A decent case costs $29. Take your pick. :confused:

19. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Jesus i've seen paranoia before but you are even worried about simply laying your phone down?

Do your blood pressure a favor and buy a film/case to put on the back.

20. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

I used to do that, but now 2nd month, without a case, not a single scratch, FYI i've got 3-4 hair scratches while using Speck case. So, no case is better, but if you drop it..

21. Photics macrumors regular

I thought that way when I first got my iPhone 4 - that a case would ruin the original design. But once I got a decent case on my phone, it felt more solid and I'm far less worried about breaking it.

Heh, then one day I took the case off. I think I might have been cleaning it. I looked at my iPhone without the case and it looked broken, naked, skinny and sick.

22. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yeah it will scratch but do you really want to hide the industrial design?