Any chance of simultaneous data/voice on VeriPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Jan 10, 2011.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

Assuming the VeriPhone 4 (yeah, sorry about that) is announced tomorrow, will there be any chance of some network upgrade to support voice/data, or can this limitation never be *fixed*?

2. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

I doubt it because verizon would have to update the network to support SVDO and granted there is a small possibility they could go that route. I doubt it since their main focus is LTE now and then LTE voice later.

3. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oh man, isn't it bad enough that celebrity names are joined together? Do we have to do it with a phone?:mad:

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No. Forget about it. I was a loyal Verizon customer for many years and I felt mocked by the annual iPhone rumors until I finally broke down and ported my line over to get iPhone 4. I'm digging through my couch cushions right now to pay the At&t ETF so I can begin to forget what it is like to have to use Mark the Spot every other day. What's really pathetic is when Mark the Spot can't get a signal to tell At&t I had a dropped voice call. Simultaneous no voice and no data is what I see more than twice a week.

As for actually having simultaneous voice and data, I have never (yet) been in a situation where I wished I had it. Now if VZW wants to kick some At&t butt, let them lift the 3G facetime restriction. I received a facetime call in the car the other day and after a few minutes fumbling around I remembered those Tmo commercials which remind everyone that Facetime on iPhone 4 only works with wifi. Sheesh.

6. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I would say no. It's more of a network limitation than phone limitation. If it could be done, I have to believe that an Android phone would have done it already.

7. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

ECK What a name. Sounds like the credit card terminal company.

8. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I happen to love being able to check email and look up things while on a phone call. In fact just the other day I was talking to my girlfriend about what movies were playing and I looked it up while on the phone.
    I do agree with you about lifting the Facetime Restriction.

9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Same here. I use data while making phone calls ALL THE TIME. I'm sure there are others, too. This is the number 1 reason I won't ever switch to Verizon, and is probably/maybe/potentially one of the big reasons why Verizon doesn't drop as many calls as AT&T.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    VeriFone.

11. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

No chance. Verizon is good for voice calls though compared to AT&T. ;)

12. landscapeman macrumors regular

Its all with the antenna. If they have upgraded the network in all the areas it is possible. If not, at least you will be able to make a phone call and actually use your phone.

13. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    For the thousandth time, SVDO does not require a network upgrade.

As to whether or not anyone will implement on their phone, who knows.

14. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Yes, people need to research before they blindly post.

15. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

So what i made a mistake about SVDO. Are you guys gonna run this into the ground? It must be nice to be as perfect as you. Watch out for a nosebleed on that high horse!

16. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

It is really amazing, after all the Vz rumors, people still don't understand some basic facts. This question comes up with every single Vz thread. :rolleyes:

Interesting to me, that it is a feature that holds more interest than actually being able to use the device as a phone. Gotta be able to surf while on the phone. In 2.5 years with my 3G I've used that ability four times, and none of which were that critical.

At this point, I just want stable, reliable coverage. Something that AT&T has not addressed in rural AZ. Period. Don't believe me, there is a map for that, and it is no BS.

17. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to personally attack you. I was mainly attacking the noobs who register just to say "Verizon sucks", "w/o vioce + data @ same time phones r useles", and other stuff similar to that.

18. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Meh, don't be so ready to apologize. All one needs to do is read about 20 deep on any Vz rumor thread to find out about SDVO and what it takes to make it a reality on a CDMA device. :eek:

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No over CDMA, it won't happen. now if the phone support LTE that's another history, however I personally don't see that happening either, since LTE is just in some cities.

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.