Any chance that the nTB MBP will get a silent update by the end of November?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TazExprez, Nov 4, 2018.

1. TazExprez macrumors regular

I wonder if there is any chance that the nTB MBP gets updated by the end of November, like the high end MBP 15 will be? With the Mac Mini configurations starting with a quad core i3, could something similar be put inside a nTB MBP? Thanks for any help. I am still using a base 2010 MBP 13 and would like to upgrade to a new MBP, but I would prefer a quad core processor without spending around $2,000.00.

2. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Short answer: I don’t think so.

Long answer: your question covers a wide range of recent developments.
    - nTB MBP hasn’t been updated partly because Intel hasn’t released a direct successor to its 15W TDP GPU with iris Pro graphics;
    - Mac mini now uses desktop-class processors (previous Mac mini started with a 1.4 ghz i5 not unlike the one in the 2014 MBA), so we won’t be seeing those processors inside an MBP;
    -Apple has just released the $1,199 MBA with truly appalling performance for the price (20-25% worse than MBP in processing speed, probably much worse in graphics and even worse in sustained performance)
    -The $1,199 MBA is their vision for what a $1200 laptop should be. It is a lot worse than the MBP, is priced right alongside it. Couple that with Apple’s recent strategy of increasing their margins just to be evil and
    -I think the result is that the most likely scenario is the nTB MBP being: a) discontinued or b) updated with Touch ID and a price hike.

3. littlepud macrumors regular

littlepud

A 15W quad-core nTB with Touch ID would be a great midrange machine between the new Air and the TB MBP

4. Tmelon macrumors 65816

If anything, I'd assume that they'd discontinue it. The new MacBook Air is pretty much taking its place.

5. leman macrumors G3

No chance whatsoever, since there is no newer hardware the nTB could use.

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

A silent cancellation is most likely I think.

It was supposed to be the "new Air" and it didn't work out.
    I think it's a dead man walking