Any chances of a MBA 15in anytime soon?

jmichael99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Looking to get my first mac once my sony laptop dies. I got to play around on the MBA13 and i do like it. I want the thinness and light weight of the Air.

Maybe one will come out when the Iphone is announced?

Last edited:

dwburnell

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
From the way the Retina Macbook Pro is, my theory is that Apple will eventually combine the Pro's and Air's. I mean the 13" MBP and MBA are pretty much the same.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The concept of a 15" Air seems to slightly defeat the purpose to me. I agree with Robbie that it's likely we won't ever see it due to the rMBP.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I hope not. I cant afford that
It will eventually trickle into the $1800 slot. Expect this within 2 years. They always introduce these things at the highest price points, make the highest margins on them, then as the manufacturing process evens itself out, they end up in less expensive models as well. $1800 models refurbished in basic configurations for a current generation tend to fall around 10-15% off. 15% is realistic enough, and this would give you a machine below $1700, or you may find a deal from one of the third party retailers. Given the relative pricing of the 13" Air, you may simply need a small amount of elasticity in your budget. I'm just not sure I see the 15" models dropping much lower new. The 15" models used to be more than they are today.

I see much of their leverage for budget restricted consumers falling into the refurbished market. We hear about many returns, which means they're likely sitting on a lot of refurbished units. They're still trying to clear a number of 2011 units. This is likely due to a loose return policy. It wasn't always this way. They may be trying to clear 2011s so as not to lose sales when introducing used 2012 options. I can't remember what they were charging on refurbished 2011s prior to 2012 availability.