Any comparison of Series 2 aluminum vs SS displays?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by PatrickNSF, Sep 19, 2016.

1. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Has anyone found any online comparisons of the Series 2 aluminum glass vs SS sapphire displays in bright sunlight, similar to DisplayMate's comparison last year – http://www.displaymate.com/Apple_Watch_ShootOut_2.htm

Last year I downgraded from the SS to the aluminum in part because the SS sapphire display was unreadable in bright sunlight. The aluminum, while not great, fared better. I'm interested in seeing what effect the increased brightness of the Series 2 has on how the displays compare, and if the difference between the two is as noticeable as it was with last year's models.

2. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Well, the brightness is clearly visible much better in direct sunlight, but I think the problem with the sapphire screens is reflectivity and that probably hasn't gotten much better.

3. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Agreed. The screen brightness of the aluminum Series 2 seems significantly better than both the aluminum and SS Series 0's I've had. I just have mine at the default setting but when moving into direct sun I can see it really light up. I've been curious if that would make the SS Series 2 passable in bright sun, which for me the Series 0 wasn't.

4. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I switched from an SS to Alum due to partly for better visibility outdoors. The reflectivity of the Sapphire screen is really annoying, but the Series 2 is definitely better than the original in terms of visibility. The Alum will obviously be more legible outdoors due to its less reflectivity.