iPad Any deals on iPad Air 2 16gb right now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RedlegsFan, May 5, 2015.

1. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

I am looking to trade up from my original Air to an Air 2. But at this point I hate paying full price for the Air 2. Of course I have looked a bit but haven't found any special deals so am I missing anything, or are the deals right now just 20/30 bucks off?

Thanks!

2. Rodster, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

Rodster macrumors 68040

3. RedlegsFan thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

I always avoid gift card deals like the plague. It's always better to get the discount up front so you're not paying tax twice as well as the secondary trips required to cash in the gift card.

5. RedlegsFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Likewise, I like my savings on the front end.

6. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

The Target gift card is the best deal going.

Not liking a gift card makes sense if it's a store that you never go to, or a store that only sells specific things, like a Best Buy. But Target? Just buying your regular things/groceries means that gift card will be used up as if it were cash.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I feel the same. Gift Card with a Purchase isn't preferred (especially when it's like for OfficeMax or Bestbuy) but you can buy an iPad accessory at Target and use the rest of household supplies (which are reasonably priced goods to be begin with).

Personally, I would wait until the iPad Air 2 goes on Apple's Refurbished site. You would save 15% or so. However, I'm questioning when that will be as it should have been listed by now...

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

You failed to mention that you're also paying FULL tax on both purchases. If an item is discounted you pay less tax. If they give you a gift card it really works out to less than $75 for the gift card because tax eats into that as well when you make your next purchase. ;)

That's why I NEVER do gift card deals.

9. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

OK, so it's a $70 gift card in your eyes. Does that really change things much?

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

Absolutely, when I could have had an Air 2 (16GB) for $359 vs $499 or an Air 2 (64GB) for $439 vs $599.

11. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

and where would one buy those iPad's at those prices right now?

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

As the saying goes..."you snooze, you lose". But i'm sure you're still trying to find ways to justify that $75 gift card deal.

13. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

OK, so you're talking about prices for a sale that happened weeks ago, and that somehow has relevance in a discussion about someone buying an iPad today........

You've been most helpful.

14. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Staples seems to be sporadic in their discounts. Apparently people were seeing signs in store for $100 off iPad Air 2 16GB Wifi a few weeks ago. My local store had no such signs. Now, Staples' website says $379 for iPad mini 3 16GB Wifi and I just came back from my local store and they have that exact model for $299 on sale with a sign up. I suggest people visit their local Staples to check for deals on iPads because they obviously have some sort of discretion store-to-store and apart from the website.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

My advice is just wait for the deal you want.

Some people are so any gift cards there is nothing you will say to convince them the best deal today (May 8 2015) involves a gift card $75 from target. You see them saying you are paying tax twice? Like WTF? Sure you pay tax on that $75 gift card purchase next time. And obviously pay tax on the $499 iPad Air 2.

So what? If you go spent $75 anywhere retail store you will end up paying that tax. So that double tax is non sense.

Don't want to deal with gift cards. Wait. iPad Air 2 sales are tanking in case you don't read apple quarterly reports. Didn't they go from q2 2014 19 million sales to 12/13 million sales in q2 2015. That's a huge drop off.

Which means there will be incentives to push iPads off the shelves by retailers.

Be patient for the deal you want.

I would never buy an iPad for full retail price these days.

I got my cellular iPad Air 2 for $100 off Black Friday at best buy, also got wifi for $140 target gift card (cause it's not to impossible to get cellular 64gb air 2 that Black Friday since target doesn't stock many 64gb cellular models)

Also picked up another 64gb iPad Air 2 wifi a couple months ago $550 best buy plus used 10% usps coupon. So $499 for 64gb wifi model for me.

16. JAT macrumors 603

microcenter.com is always giving a deal. Right now it is $40 off a 16GB wifi, not the best. But, generally as good as Apple's refurb deals, but for brand new with warranty. They appear to be in 16 states, purchases from any others would probably be tax free.

Curiously, it is $30 off cellular models. Seems backwards.