Any difference in plans on ATT between iPhone and any other smart phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkim3691, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

I have a 4s right now and my Nexus is coming in next week. I heard even though the iPhone takes a micro SIM, that you can fit it in the Nexus and position it so that it works. So I had no intention on going and getting a new SIM or purchasing an adapter. I talked to a manager I know at AT&T and he said I would have to let AT&T change my plan for a different phone (still keep my grandfathered unlimited). I'm reading otherwise though from other users. Does anyone have insight on this?

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

You can keep the same plan. If they force you to change it because they want more money from you, just go on AT&T website, log into your account and change it back (yes you can do this, I've done it before).

There used to be something called the "iPhone data plan" but it's now the same as regular smartphone plans which includes data/texting/calling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't G. Nexus use normal sims? You can get it switched (microSim to normal Sim) at AT&T for free.

Enjoy your new Phone!

*edit: I highly recommend switching to a normal sim card. There's a slight chance a micro-sim in a normal sim slot will slide out and cause your phone to be "out of service".

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

IIRC, they did something in the computer to change it to a LTE plan when I switched, but it doesn't affect anything - just a backend change.

4. jkim3691 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The GSM GNex is not LTE capable. HSPA+ speeds.

And yes, the GNex uses a normal SIM. But from what others have said coming from the 4s, they just put their micro SIM in and said it fit. They just had to make sure to position it so the card read.

5. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

It is hspa+ 21 vs 14 in the 4s though which is a nice bonus.

6. jkim3691 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, one of the reasons I wanted to get the GNex.

7. SBA macrumors member

You're definitely going to want to purchase an adapter for your sim card to avoid issues.

I use a micro sim in my galaxy nexus and have to put it in a little plastic adapter.

They can be found on eBay or amazon for really cheap.