any down side to updating if I'm just going to sell in 4 days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grassfeeder, Jun 21, 2010.

1. grassfeeder macrumors regular

Since there isn't a jailbreak for iOS4 yet, would it be wise to not update the software if I plan on selling my 3G in 3 days from now anyway?

Any downsides to updating is selling?

2. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

I don't see why you wouldn't. But since you're using a 3g you wont see much besides folders/mail/and a few more things.

Go for it, if you don't like it you can downgrade back to 3.1.3 and re-jailbreak.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How does that work? I thought I read about people wanting to do that and not being able to. Is it possible now?

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

The only downside would be if you have a phone that can currently be unlocked, and you update, rendering it unlockable.

Then, buyers who would potentially buy your phone to unlock it for T-Mobile would not be interested.

5. djuarez03 macrumors regular

My advice to you is to wait for the jailbreak for 4.0 to be released, then jailbreak & unlock and then sell. Your resell value will be much higher than if you were not selling it unlocked. I was able to sell my iPhone 3G last year for $400 unlocked. More than enough to cover the expense of the 32 GB 3GS that I bought that I'm also planning to sell in order to buy the iPhone 4. And since my 3GS still has the early bootrom that doesn't require a tethered jailbreak, I think I'll be able to sell it pretty fast again. Although this time, I'm hoping to get at least $450 for it.

6. djuarez03 macrumors regular

And in case you're wondering, the jailbreak and unlock for 4.0 will be out soon according to the dev team. Especially for the iPhone 3G. But wait until they release the tools for it before you upgrade, just in case.

7. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I'm not updating my 3GS for this exact reason. Whoever buy the phone will then have the option. If they want iOS4 on the phone, they can update it themselves. My experience is that the more options people have, the more people your product appeals too.

Blonde Buddhist

8. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Its seems a large majority of second hand iPhone buyers are buying them with the intent to unlock them. You basically just made it a lot more difficult to sell it.

9. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Agree. Stay at the lowest release possible.

10. grassfeeder thread starter macrumors regular

I have not updated to iOS4 as of now, and don't see myself doing so as to gain maximum value.

11. Farns514 macrumors 6502

Farns514

Is it real easy to jailbreak and unlock? Unlocking mean you can use it on a different network?

Looking at selling my iPhone 3G after i get my iPhone 4 Friday and was just wondering how easy it would be to jailbreak and unlock. Now if i jailbroke and unlocked the phone, wouldnt it then be synced to my computer and then the person who bought it have trouble syncing it?