Any downside of Verizon FIOS w/ Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chupa Chupa, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My neighborhood finally got FIOS and I'm think of switching for Internet only. Right now I use DSL via Airport Extreme and Express extended to the network.

I've Googled a lot about how to connect the Airport to the Verizon Actiontec router so I'm familar with what has to be done. What I'm curious about is whether there is any downside to going FIOS. I crave the extra speed as right now I have no DSL upgrade path, but once I go FIOS I don't think Verizon will let me go back to DSL.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I have abs no complaints, fast and super stable

3. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

While I have only used the Airport Express, not extreme, I've had FIOS at two different locations and each have worked perfectly with the Airport Express. I've used the Airport with the Actiontec setup at one place (using the airport to distribute wifi, and disabling wifi on the Actiontec), and without (since there was no FIOS tv, there was no need for the Actiontec), and it worked perfectly in both instances. So I can't foresee any problems with the same setup with the Extreme.

The only downside I really can think of is the Actiontec router. Didn't really care for it, and in the one year I had FIOS tv and needed the Actiontec router, it broke twice and needed replacements. Right now I ditched the tv part and only kept the FIOS internet so luckly I don't need to use the Actiontec anymore.

And yeah, once you go to FIOS with the speed and no caps, it would be hard to even consider downgrading back to DSL. As to whether it is possible at all to go back to DSL. Usually when the installer comes to install FIOS, they rip out the old copper lines from the curb to your house, and replace it with fiber. So now as well your landline phone signal goes through the fiber line (which is one reason you now have a battery backup installed). DSL cannot go over a fiber line so short of reinstalling the copper, which I've not heard Verizon really ever doing, going back to DSL is most likely not an option.