Any downside to a clean install? Download Lion from SL or Lion GM?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Bounce, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Bounce macrumors newbie

1. Are there any down sides to a clean install?

It's clear that Apple want people installing Lion as an upgrade from Snow Leopard rather than doing clean install's with the way the .app file works straight from the App Store, doing an upgrade to Lion without any option to format the drive.

I know it can be done by burning the .dmg to a DVD, and that is how I want to install Lion but I'm afraid that I may be missing something doing it this way or that Lion won't be fully functional unless you upgrade from Snow Leopard.

Could this be possible or is it just me worrying too much?

2. I am using Lion GM now (Yes, I know, I know..) but I will be purchasing Lion from the App Store this evening when it becomes available. Is it better to put on Snow Leopard again and update to 10.6.8 and download from there or just use Lion GM to download from the App Store?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

1. You're worrying too much.
    2. Buy it, but dont download it as you already have it. The GM is the same as the final.

3. vodouman macrumors regular

Haha so not only have you leaked Apple's release information and listed the store that you work at you have also inferred that you have obtained an illicit copy of the Lion GM? Mate, seriously....

In answer to your second question; I am in the same situation, I will be downloading the 'consumer release' to get a legitimate version and will be burning to a disc and doing a clean install.

4. Bounce thread starter macrumors newbie

So you will be downloading Lion from the App Store on Lion GM then?

5. vodouman macrumors regular

I own two macs, one of them is still on Snow Leopard, one is on the GM.

I have a feeling that the MAS will detect if you are already running Lion and will grey out the ability for you to buy it, so I'll download it on my other Mac.