Any Downsides to Ordering from Autorized Apple Dealer instead of Directly from Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacPerforma, May 2, 2010.

1. MacPerforma macrumors member

Hi all.

I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro sometime in the near future, and in an attempt to save a few bucks, I'm thinking about ordering it online from a third-party authorized Apple dealer (like B&H, MacConnection, etc.) as opposed to buying directly from Apple. Before doing this, though, I thought I'd check and see if there are any downsides to ordering a new MacBook Pro from a third-party dealer as opposed to directly from Apple. As I would be ordering from an authorized Apple dealer, I don't think I'd be sacrificing anything in terms of warranty or service, but I thought I'd ask before making a final decision.

Along the same lines, is in-store / Genius Bar tech support reserved only for in-warranty computers purchased directly through Apple, or is it open to any Mac owner, regardless of where the computer was purchased? Can you tell it's been a while since I last bought a Mac? :)

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only difference is, with Apple it's easier to get an exchange for defects and such (usually in the lines of scratches, etc.); with a dealer, with the except of a DOA, you'll need to contact repair and support to get the defect fixed.

And Genius bar support is for all Mac owners, even those out of warranty.