Any drawbacks to buying at Best Buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by makefunnyfaces, Nov 13, 2011.

1. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I shattered my iPhone 4S today. I've had every generation, so I guess my time was creeping up on me!

Called the Apple store, they wouldn't replace it. Called AT&T, they wouldn't replace it, but the nice guy said he'd buy it from me for $200, so I sold it to him. The only problem I'm having now is the wait for a new one. I'm going out of town next week for Thanksgiving/football game, so I would like to have it before then. Unfortunately, the wait time on Apple's site is 1-2 weeks. I REALLY don't want to wait that long. I found a Best Buy about an hour away that has it, so I'm seriously considering it. But I have a few questions.

1) I'm doing an upgrade swap so I can get it for $299. Will they give me any hassle?
    2) Are there any drawbacks you can think of to purchasing from Best Buy instead of Apple or AT&T?

Thanks for any help, guys!

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Wow the AT&T guy got a steal! You could have easily gotten more for it.

1) No.
    2) No. If anything it's actually better to buy it from Best Buy for the reward points.

3. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

I asked him what he was going to do with it, & he said probably use it for himself. I don't care if he makes a profit or whatever, I just want my new phone ASAP. My 4S has spoiled me because my 4 seems slow now. :p

4. zelaya macrumors 6502

I purchased mine at a local bestbuy store and the sale person was very helpful. In regards to warranty I guess I'll address it to apple directly. Hope I answer your question right.

5. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's another quick question: I have unlimited data. Is this going to affect my data plan at all? Or my mom's (the line I'm using to upgrade) unlimited data plan?

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

No the data plan is tied to your number. As long as you keep your number you'll have unlimited data.

7. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome. Thanks a lot! :)

8. RRNYC macrumors member

You bought a 4S that I can only assume you paid the subsidized price ($199, $299, $399) as either a new account or an upgrade. You broke it and you are getting another one at the subsidized price? I must be missing something... ATT is going to charge you full price on a new 4S. If so, you should just get an unlocked version

9. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did buy it with subsidized pricing with MY upgrade. I'm buying another one using my MOM'S upgrade so I can get subsidized pricing again.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What a nice guy at AT&T :D
    He ripped you off pretty good.

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I don't get it either. Why sell it for $200 when you can get a replacement for $200 from Apple??

And if you buy a new one won't you have to pay full price now??

12. RRNYC macrumors member

Now I understand.

I would do it at Apple or ATT. You need to make sure they don't kill your moms SIM while using th upgrade on her account. I wouldn't necessarily trust Best Buy to do this correctly.

13. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's being "ripped off" if you know you're taking less than what it's worth, haha.

----------

I was told by Apple that they wouldn't replace it for $200.

14. zelaya macrumors 6502

If that makes sense to you it what matters but I would pay to get it fix and won't need to use another upgrade. What are you going to do if you break it again?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple would replace it for $200 like any other iPhone that has physical damage. It's called an out of warranty replacement. Whoever you talked to gave you wrong info and the other dude at AT&T took advantage of you.

16. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now I'm frustrated. :mad: I guess I should have double checked.

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

Umm, its Best Buy.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Next time research and be more cautious. People will lie and try to use you. I'm sure that AT&T guy knew about the $200 replacement but didn't tell you and made you feel like you have no option than to buy another one full price.
    A 4S with a broken screen would bring $400+ sold easy and besides that apples out of warranty replacement would charge you $200 to have it replaced.
    So this AT&T rep got a contract free 4S for $400. He can either bring it to apple or sell it as is. Either way he made out nice.

19. trek360 macrumors 6502

you might still be able to buy applecare+ for the old phone. I think you have until Nov 14 to get it. Not sure of the rules on purchasing it, ie functioning phone.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He already sold the old one.

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

You mean committing insurance fraud?

22. makefunnyfaces thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I can't go back and change it, but mistakes happen. At least I'll know better if there's ever a next time.

23. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Yeah you could have gotten a lot more than $200. Next time try craigslist to sell or fix it. there is a guy here replacing glass for 150 front and back.

24. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Yes.

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Who's replacing front and back for $150?