Any dual monitor software that changes how spaces works in Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ARSkemp, Jul 17, 2012.

1. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

I doubt that there is, but let me explain what I would I am looking for. What I would like is to use dual monitors but keep the screens independent of each other. For example, say I had iTunes on my secondary display. I want to be able to switch between spaces on my primary display while keeping iTunes on my secondary display. Currently both displays act as a single space so when you switch to another space both screens switch.

Say I had 4 spaces. What would be even better is to have Space 2 on my secondary display, and switch between 1,3, and 4 on the primary. Then, if I moved my mouse cursor over to the secondary display, I would be able to switch between Space 2 and whatever other two spaces are not being utilized by the primary display.

At least for me, personally, this would definitely increase my productivity. I hope something like this actually exists and I am not just dreaming.

2. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I have a question first. How come people use dual monitors if they can just use spaces? Just wondering

Thanks

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Good question. The reason is if you need to do things simultaneously instead of hitting mission control or command tabbing. Like video editing for example. You could have your editor up and watch a video at the same time. It's really is probably the most true of all multitaskings.

You could just snap your window size in half but it's just not the same and everything looks small except maybe on a 30 inch display.

4. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

would it be stupid if I set up two monitors that were connected to my macbook pro?

5. WSR macrumors regular

I think the best you can do is set the app that you want to be always visible, i.e. iTunes, to be in "Every Space". Then as you change Spaces the app would be always visible. I do this with video players so that I can watch a video while changing Spaces.

----------

I use 2 monitors to mainly increase my viewing area. For example, watching a video on 1 monitor in Snow Leopard's Full-Screen mode while continuing to work in the other monitor. Also, it's easier if you are working with 2 or more windows to keep them from overlapping without having to shrink them. Note that my iMac is a 17" model so I don't have a huge monitor to work with.

My nephew uses a 2nd monitor with his 13" Macbook pro to give him a larger monitor when he is in his dorm room. Much easier to move a monitor/TV then to move a 2nd computer.

----------

If you often have many windows open that are involved in the same task, then definitely not.

I usually have each Space to be a separate task, like email, iTunes, Safari, etc., but if I'm doing something like video editing I might have windows for at least the editor, the source folder and the destination folder open all in the same Space. 3 Window don't always fit well on a 17" or smaller screen.

6. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

No. If you can afford it and use it go for it!

7. iVoid macrumors 65816

The closest thing you could do is to set iTunes to be in every space (right click dock icon, under options select 'All Desktops'). Then open itunes, put it in the monitor you want it in and maximize it. Itunes will always be there in any space you switch to.

P.S. Search for TotalSpaces in Google and check it out. It doesn't really apply to this need, but it does make using spaces much, much better than using mission uncontrol.

8. ARSkemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for your input. I didn't even think about making specific applications visible in every space. Still doesn't completely solve it (since I want to be able to move things in and out of the secondary stationary space easily), but it definitely helps.

I just googled TotalSpaces. I didn't realize it was from the same person/people that made TotalFinder (which I love). Although it's not what I am looking for its definitely worth doing some research about.