Any early iPhone 4 adopters starting to notice degrading battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by likemyorbs, Sep 4, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

My battery life used to be great, i got the iphone 4 the day it came out. These days the battery really seems to be draining fast. It's definitely not the software at this point, no matter how many settings i turn off it still drains fast. Today it drained 3% while sending 3 pictures over mms. Anyway, was just wondering if any other early adopters are starting to feel the battery aging. I bought a battery replacement kit on ebay for $6 and will be changing the battery as soon as it comes in the mail. Don't have to worry about voiding warranty anymore.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Mine now drops 8-9% every hour just in sleep mode. :(

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Got mine on release day and the battery as good now as it was then.

4. saving107, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Take it to the Apple Store, have them run some Battery Diagnostics.

5. JulianL macrumors 65816

I've had mine since launch day and am surprised at how well it's held up. I don't really notice any appreciable degredation since the day I got it. I do try to run it flat every now and then which I'm told helps to keep the battery gauge callibrated properly but I probably only get around to that every 8 to 10 weeks, maybe even less often than that.

- Julian

6. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I was super happy with the battery when I bought it and it seems just as good now well over a year later.

EDIT: I'm a heavy user too so the phone is always in use.

7. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Apple has pushed out the "forced obsolescence" activation for the iPhone 4, expect to see reduced battery life and sluggish performance, finally cumulating in an unusable phone when you upgrade to iOS5 thus making that expensive upgrade to the iPhone 5 look like a bargain.

Cynical, me, never :D

8. davie18 macrumors regular

That seems terrible, surely there is more of a problem with yours than just how much it has been used.

9. Aaron1021 macrumors member

The battery life on mine is still pretty great. I pretty much run it down to 15-20% everyday and charge it every night. And I'm constantly on the iphone.

10. aoifeee macrumors member

I didn't realise they had that problem at all.

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It might have something to do with the fact that I've used it so much I had to fully charge it twice a day many times over the past year. I'm sure it is well over the 400 charge cycles that are guaranteed before you start losing battery capacity.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Nothing wrong with battery. Much wrong with the holes button becoming more and more flaky. It's past the one-year warranty, wonder if I should still take it in..

13. cinek macrumors 6502

14. MyCraft macrumors newbie

Bought mine about two months after it came out. I actually started to notice a slightly shorter battery life a few days ago. Maybe I am just a bit paranoid or I changed usage/charging patterns unknowingly.
    Wouldnt consider myself a heavy user though. Dont play games on my iPhone or watch videos...
    cheers

15. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah I just noticed it last week. It's the morning right now and I have been browsing with safari for the last 50 minutes and have lost 22% battery already. I don't think that's normal.

Yes I know, as I mentioned in the OP, I bought a new battery with tools for $6 on eBay.

16. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Yup, noticing battery life is worse for me too.

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Odd. I was just thinking to myself yesterday how well the battery on my iPhone 4 (got it 2 weeks after launch) is doing. I haven't noticed any abnormal battery lose.

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I got mine on release and for the past 2 months or so the battery is starting to drain a lot faster. I do "abuse" the battery and use the phone heavily though, especially this past summer. It's still better than most and I'm not too worried about it since there is an upgrade imminent.

19. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

just buy one from ebay 10 dollars i do this and works really good and its oem

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

21. Perihelion macrumors regular

Noticed some battery degradation with one month left to go on warranty but ended up getting it replaced due to the premature home button wear issue. Brand new battery is just one of the side benefits I guess.

22. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Launch day iphone, battery is worse, but i dont mind, i expect that after a year and a bit. But bot my front and back panels look awful. The fingerprint resistance layer is coming off and there are dots over the whole phone. Looks really bad. iPhone 5 cant come soon enough.

23. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Just take it to the Apple store or just upgrade

24. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Even when periodically answering text messages for an hour the battery meter drops by a couple pixels. Irritating. I was hoping it was a calibration issue since I've never actually run the battery down all the way.

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. The reports of quick battery drain are typically the result of something else.