Any experiences with out of warranty repairs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abijnk, Jan 17, 2010.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Has anyone had any experiences with out of warranty repairs?

My Late 2008 MBP started the flickering screen a while back and yesterday I took it to the genius bar. It performed it's flickering trick for the audience and the genius made a note of what he observed for when I decide to get it fixed. Everything's good so far.

One of the options he told me about was sending away the computer for repair, and he said it would only cost a flat fee of like $300 no matter what they had to do. Is this for real? It sounds too good to be true, so I'm worried I didn't understand something. I've never had to get a computer repaired through Apple out of warranty before, so I'm not entirely sure.

Any out of warranty repair experiences would be great to hear.

Thanks

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Like anything in the world dealing with money, get it in writing.

3. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Of course, but I'm having trouble finding any type of confirmation that this program even exists. That's what I am looking for.

4. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've heard reports of Genii taking in a machine for some sort of flat fee and sort of tuning it up . I'm sure the program is real , I've just never used it so I don't know very much information. That would be a great money grab for Apple as you're already ineligible for AppleCare so this $300 fee will only cover you once and the replaced parts will only have a 90 day warranty.

6. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, that's in line with what the guy told me.

Basically, I'm afraid that I'm going to drop my computer off with them thinking its only going to be $300 and then going to pick it up and they are like, "Ok, that'll be $1300 for a logic board replacement."

7. JacaByte macrumors 6502

QFT

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

When you are presented with documents to sign before handing over the computer, whether or not it is in warranty, the fine print says that they will contact you before proceeding with any repairs that carry additional cost. If you deny the additional charge, they may not fix the initial problem, but it wouldn't cost you anything.

9. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

That's good to know, thanks.

10. coast1ja macrumors 6502

Not true. If you deny the service, they will charge you a fee for diagnostics (I think the policy states no less than $50). They will also charge you shipping cost back to you... so it's not free.