Any first impressions from the 4S users going to 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xNYMetsx, Oct 3, 2013.

1. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Just wondering, I have a 4S and waiting for my 5S. I'm interested to see if it's a big difference between the 4S and the 5S. There wasn't much info out there except for comparisons with the 5.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I have all 3 models and can say yes, there is a huge difference between the 4S and the 5s.

Not just the design, but the speed, camera quality, screen quality, processor, fluidity and etc.

I think you'll be very happy with the upgrade. It's an adjustment, when you're used to the 4S, but it's one that's well worth making.

3. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Significant upgrade

In every way better. LTE is super fast, everything works smoothly. You'll be happy. Only question I have is memory management which I think is a IOS 7 problem and not anything with the 5S, and it's more of a problem on my iPad mini. I downloaded the app Battery Saver - and I do reallocate memory frequently. (Whether it really works, I don't know - but it feels good to have some control.)

I've had the original phone, the 3GS, and the 4S before the 5S. The 5S feels even more special than the others.

4. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Yup big difference and you'll enjoy it. Once you get your hands on it you'll immediately feel the difference, the design is nice and very light compared to the 4s. Also having lte is awesome.

5. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Most defiantly there is a difference! I am sure you will be pleased, as I certainly am! I went from the 4S which I bought back in Nov 2011. I just got my 5S on Sept 25th which I ordered online from Apple.com the second they started to take orders.

In no particular order...

Cellular Data Speeds: This of course depends on where you live, but my LTE speeds here in Columbus OH are pretty fantastic. In areas where I wouldn't even get 1Mbps with my 4S I am getting 10-20Mbps. My top speed so far is 32Mbps down and 12Mbps up (that is faster than my 30Mbps Down and 5Mpbs home cable modem service).

Still Camera: The camera quality is much improved (and that is saying a lot since the 4S had a really good camera in it). The 10 FPS burst mode is pretty awesome to have as well. It is crazy how fast it takes shots when you hold the shutter down. I love how you can select the best shots and quickly delete the rest. The two tone flash is nice, I don't typically like to use flash since the results tend to suck, but so far when I have used it the results are nice. Plus have a dual LED flash makes for a better flashlight when you need to use it (and is quicker to access now with Control Center).

Video Camera: The Slo-Mo feature is pretty cool and I have been having a lot of fun with it.

Touch ID (fingerprint reader): This is very nice to have and has been working quite well for me. Very nice not to have to type in my access code, or my Apple ID when buying items from the App Store or iTunes store. Apple did a great job in making this easy to set up and it has been very accurate for me in reading my finger print on the first try.

Larger Screen: Not a huge upgrade from the 4S but having a little more vertical real estate on the screen is nice for reading, gaming and viewing videos etc...

Phone audio quality: Not sure if this is because of the LTE, but the audio quality on calls is noticeably better.

Overall Speed: The overall speed of using the device and the smoothness you experience when scrolling through lists, opening up apps etc... is faster.

3G Gaming speed: Download the free 3DMark benchmark and run it on your 4S and when you get your 5s, run it on that. It is amazing how much faster it is.

Lightning Connector: Although moving from the 30-pin to the Lightning was a pain and cost me money in buying new cables adapters etc... The connecter is much nicer to use since you don't have to worry about the orientation of the connector when you insert it into the phone plus it is a lot smaller.

Then add the new features that iOS 7 brings like the control center, better multitasking etc... and I feel it was quite the upgrade. Even Siri works a lot better and is actually useful now.

A benefit in skipping the 5 is that a lot of apps now support the 5/5s/5c screen resolutions.

The only negatives which I hope are fixed with software updates, is that my 5s has crashed and rebooted about 3 or 4 times (which other have experienced). That is something I rarely if ever experienced on my 4S and previous iPhones (I owned the 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S).

So I am pretty pleased with the upgrade and will be even more pleased once more bugs get fixed and apps get updated for iOS 7 (which a lot of the ones I use have been).

6. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

a] loving the fact the phone is "bigger" but so much lighter
    b] lightning is awesome
    c] speakers are so much better
    d] screen looks nicer -> colors look more vivid, maybe its juts iOS7
    e] LTE is best thing ever. makes the phone seem super fast

7. tttmac macrumors member

I think my iphone 4s still has the best design in that the back is durable glass too (heavier) but I like it more, doesnt seem as fragile as the 5s

5s is a nice upgrade tho, my 4s screen looks so small now, and the speed is nice although I thought 4s was plenty ok, but not no lag when taking photos, etc, just for the camera is awesome.

i still plan to keep the 4s as a 2nd line on a pay as you go sim

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

^^^This, plus the main difference LTE, yes it's that good. :cool:

9. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

10. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I was on the fence about upgrading, I loved my 4S and wasn't bored with it, but I said screw it and I just got my 5S 2 days ago, not activated yet (waiting on case and protectors in mail) so I'm still using my 4S. I did quick side by side tests...

The 4S wasn't too far behind the 5S opening native apps, such as the clock, notes, calendar, settings, etc. The 5S is obviously faster, but the 4S put up a good fight.

Apps that aren't native, basically any app you have to download, will open much faster, especially games and Facebook. Once I activate it and it's my actual phone, I'm sure I'll notice the speed difference even more. I also havent been able to test the LTE yet, but I'm sure it will be grand coming from 3G. Safari is a lot quicker too compared to 4S, even on wifi. 5S renders images and websites extremely quick.

I haven't tested the camera out yet, but I heard that it's pretty darn good. My friend got the 5S on launch day, and it takes pretty good low light photos from what I can see.

The screen is nice. The extra room is perfect, not too big but enough to notice it. And the colors on the display are more vivid side by side compared to the 4S. One thing I noticed is the screen on my 5S is a tad warmer than my 4S. Some people are complaining about this but it doesn't bother me.

Battery life seems excellent so far. Since it's not activated yet, it hasn't gotten much use. I bought it, took it home, gave it a full charge and so far I have 2 hours, 31 minutes of usage and 1 day, 15 hours standby and it's at 76%. Battery life will only get better once I put it through a few cycles. So I am definitely impressed with that.

Touch ID is neat. I didn't think I'd care for it too much but it's convenient, you save a few seconds each time you unlock.

The weight of the phone is incredibly light coming from a 4S, it almost makes me nervous like I'm going to break it, lol. Once my case comes in I'm sure it will feel more comfortable in the hand. I barely even want to handle it without a case, I know I'm being dramatic. The space gray is amazing looking. It's a work of art.

All in all, I'm happy I upgraded. I still love my 4S and I'm going to enjoy the last few days with it. I'm keeping it as my backup so when I sell the 5S next year I have an iPhone until I'm waiting for the 6 (keep in mind I'm someone who usually upgrades every 2+ years). I was gonna wait for the 6, but caved...oh well, next year. I'm going to love the 5S until then.

11. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I'm really enjoying it so far. Pretty much what everyone above has already said.

One thing I'll add is that I actually like being on the S cycle. As someone mentioned above, there's already a lot of wallpapers and apps optimized for the size of the phone. Another bonus is you have plenty more options at launch for cases (if you're into that kind of thing).

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes, I forgot LTE, thank you! It's pretty damn awesome!

13. nuarichard macrumors member

You're right about being on the S cycle. You are actually getting the improved version of the new technology/hardware they just launched.

14. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I sold my iPhone 5 yesterday and bought a friends 4S to tide me over till Monday when my 5S arrives.

BIG difference, even going back 1 generation!

Roll on Monday :apple:

15. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

Very well said, I agree with all of your observations. My experience is similar going from a 4S 64GB to a 5S 64GB.
    Hopefully the bugs on iOS7.0.2 will get fixed soon, such as the crashing/rebooting and perhaps even the gyro/compass calibration issue...

16. celly macrumors 6502

The 5s is just faster all around. The larger screen is a benefit as is the LTE network and other WiFi options (i.e. multiple bands).

I found the iPhone 5 had all these benefits over the 4s as well when I used one for work for a few months. I also appreciate the lightness of the phone over the 4s.

The fingerprint scanner is an advantage over the 4s and the 5. I haven't used the new camera much, but it was a selling point to me as well.

17. fanboy05 macrumors regular

well the fingerprint thing is fine. if I wasnt wanting a new phone- just cause - its new though, I wouldnt have bothered. the 4s worked fine. with the new OS on the 4s, it was the same IMO.

BUT
    I dont play games on my phone , and I dont take many pictures and I dont watch videos ECT on it either. I use it to make phone calls and to check my email. So it works fine for me, but I cant tell a difference in speed or anything, the old one worked fine and so does the 5s.

I may put a case on this one, since my 4s had quite a few scratches after 2 years!

18. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

I had my 4S jailbroken so it was a tad slower then it should have been.

That said, the speed jump is very noticeable and that in combination with the new OS is awesome.

Siri is way fast too, especially with LTE (which is also insane fast in my area)

19. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I don't regret it at all. Lighter, snappier, much better screen, what's not to love? The touch ID is also fantastic and a perfect example of what Apple do and why they are so successful. They ignore most gimmicky features until they are mature, then do it properly so it actually improves the user experience.

20. JulesK macrumors 6502

Slightly Dissenting Opinion...

I just switched from the 4S (running iOS 7) to the 5S, and did not spend any time in the past playing with a 5. I'm glad I switched, but if for some reason I had been required to wait another year to upgrade, it would not have bothered me tremendously, even after using the 5S. I think that says a lot about how great the 4S still is.

I use my iPhone HEAVILY, but mainly for reading web content, e-mail, etc. Not much gaming, some video and music. A lot of casual pictures. So if your needs are different/more demanding, take the following with a grain of salt. These are the factors I cared about.

Design - When the 5 came out, I remember Apple saying that the screen was as large as they wanted to make while still keeping it a one-handed phone. I agree. The extra screen real estate is noticeable (4S screen now seems slightly squished), but the phone overall is still small enough to hold in one hand and use (barely for me; I have small hands). It is also feels much lighter than the 4S. So that's a plus (unless durability is worse, then it's not).

Camera/Touch ID - I upgraded for the improved camera (it's my main camera now), and thought that I would find Touch ID fun. I haven't had a chance to play with the camera much, but like the fact that Apple did NOT go megapixel crazy but instead focused on improving image quality (bigger aperture, larger sensor, etc.). If the overall responsiveness of the camera is faster (e.g., switching to the phone, shorter shutter lag), then that will make the upgrade worth it just by itself. Again, haven't had a chance to fully test the camera, but certainly seems faster. The Touch ID is great and works very consistently (if you read and follow the directions carefully), but I honestly didn't find the 4-digit passcode to be any burden, and still sometime punch it in out of habit.

Speed - I was a little surprised by this. Yes, the 5S is faster, and if you have a "blink and you miss it" standard for UI actions, then, yes, the 5S running iOS 7 is faster than the 4S running iOS 7. But for me, the 4S ran iOS 7 plenty fast, and I was surprised that the 5S didn't seem that much faster than the 4S.

Battery Life - If there is one thing I really didn't like about the 4S, it was battery life on iOS 6. It wasn't great, and Apple confirmed that the battery was fine. The 5S seems better, but I'm not taking any changes. I'm getting a Mophie case.

Lightening Cable - As much as making sure you are plugging in your 30-pin cable the right-side-up is a first world problem, the Lightening Cable is an improvement. Easier to plug in; idiot-proof (but I'll figure out some way to screw it up, I'm sure....).

I'm glad I upgraded, but I was more impressed going from the 4 to the 4S than I am now. Maybe that will change over time, but I think that smart phones are starting to reach a point of diminishing returns in terms of better processors, improvements to existing features, etc. I would have been fine sticking with the 4S, but that's because I wasn't maxing out its capabilities.

21. Lazrhog macrumors regular

22. tivoboy macrumors 68030

display 4s the best

I was just packing up my iphone 4s to get it to Amazon for sale (268$ 32GB ATT Black) and did a boot up and wipe of data.

but, looking at that 4s, it's clear that was the BEST DAMB DISPLAY OF ANY IPHONE. I know I have a good iphone 5s display, as those display's go, bright, sharp, contrasty, but the iphone 4s really did look like better than paper.. so sharp, so crisp and clear. Was it the glass covering, or is it just that apple is using a slightly lower grade, maybe lower power consuming display since the iphone 5?

23. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Im pretty sure the 5 should have the best display. When I compared it to my old 4s when I first got it, it had much more accurate colors.

24. netslacker macrumors 6502

I recently moved from the 4S to a 5S... most notable improvements:

1. Voice call clarity on AT&T is massively improved. Maybe AT&T or better tech in the 5S or both, but if you're on the phone much you'll notice this.
    2. Bigger screen is nice, but didn't "wow" me. Only really noticeable in landscape mode.
    3. LTE is a nice improvement over 3G. I get ~20mb/down in my area.
    4. Camera is noticeably improved but most casual users probably will not notice. Slow-mo is neat but meh. Rapid shots are nice tho. Dual LED flash actually does improve flash shots, which I try to avoid anyways but was noticeable when I tested it.
    5. Fingerprint scanner is pretty cool. I now have my phone to lock immediately and I just hit the button, hold my thumb for ~1 sec and the phone unlocks. Very slick.
    6. Battery seems to go forever. Though this is comparing to a 2 year old 4S which I charged halfway through the day - every day. With the 5S I easily make it through the day with ~35% left over. This is significant since I'm using the 5S more than I did the 4S just because it's new and the "newness" hasn't worn off yet..

Everyday usage you will not notice the faster proc or graphics unless you game a lot and even then, most games feel the same. This is perhaps the least noticeable improvement for me.

25. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Ummm...

There is only one speaker on an iPhone.