Any free way to screen shot scenes from a movie played on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Dec 1, 2010.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

Being the dork I am I want to make an awesome Avatar background that spans my dual 27inch monitors. The problem is is no matter what video player I use (quicktime, iTunes, VLC) when I screen shot the movie the area is blank! :eek:

All I want to do is make a wallpaper :(

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

In VLC, did you use: Menu Bar -> Video -> Snapshot?

And if you tried using the standard screenshot shortcut, use shift-command-4 then pressing space, then clicking to take a 'object' screenshot.

In any case, any of the ways works for me. Maybe since you have dual screens, OS X has two image files, one for each screen. One image is black because it's in fullscreen mode, and the other has the video?

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Running an anime review site, I've taken hundreds of screenshots of both DVDs and video files. I usually use VLC, and have never had a problem with it on any of three different computers. If you're getting blank screenshots out of VLC, you've either got it set to some odd display mode, or there's something wrong with your install--try resetting the preferences to get it back to the default state.

MPlayer OSX Extended also works well if you're screenshotting a video file rather than a professional DVD, but for whatever reason the PNGs it produces aren't as well compressed, so they're larger on disk until you run them through a processor. Both look identical.

You are taking screenshots from within the app, not via the OS-level screenshot command, right? Command-option-S in VLC, Command-shift-S in MPlayer OSX Extended. You can just drag and drop a screenshot with QT Player 7, but it tends to save them as movie clippings that need to be further converted, so it's easier to use one of the 3rd party players.

[Edit: Ninja'd.]

4. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks for the reply Sammich! :)

I ended up finding out what it was, it looks like it was just a glitch. Without changing anything (just restarting the machine) now I can screenshot video clips.

I'll still have to do some major photoshop work since even at 1080p Avatar still won't fill my screen lol