Any gain in upgrading from an early 2013 15" rMBP to a 2015 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Apr 13, 2015.

  1. marc55, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

    marc55 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 14, 2011
    I have an early 2013 rMBP, 2.8GHZ, 16GB, 750GB-SSD, 650M, which still has 1-1/2 years of AC on it.

    There's nothing wrong with it, but I was wondering since it has the Ivy Bridge CPU, would I see any noticeable gain in upgrading now to a 2014 model with Haswell, or should I just hold on to it until Skylake?

    I don't do anything intensive, and the only benefit I see is an improvement in battery life.

    Thank you.
  2. Matthias46 macrumors newbie


    Oct 11, 2014
    So wait :)
  3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    There are always some benefits

    If there wasn't there would be no reason for apple to change anything. However to be honest for your use it really won't make to much difference. I'd wait if I was you.
  4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    I'd wait.

    My work-issued early-2013 15" 2.4/8/256 still runs everything I throw at it pretty well.
  5. totten76 macrumors regular


    Mar 12, 2015
    The only thing you get out of upgrading now is better resale value on the 2013.
  6. scaredpoet macrumors 604


    Apr 6, 2007
    This, and there's also no telling what redesign, if any, will happen with the next version of MBPr. It could be minor cosmetic changes, or we could see ditching of the traditional USB-A ports for USB-C.

    If that's an issue for you, then I'd still wait, but be ready to jump on a closeout of the 2014 15" MBPr before the stock is depleted, as soon as the next version drops.

    We also don't know for sure if a Broadwell-M 15" MBPr will come out before Skylake, or if Apple will skip Broadwell for the 15" entirely.
  7. thadoggfather macrumors G3


    Oct 1, 2007
    Yeah just because people want a redesign doesn't mean it'll happen.

    If it's selling well, they don't really need to.
  8. mentaluproar macrumors 68000


    May 25, 2010
    Ohio, USA
    I upgraded the wireless card in mine and I'm perfectly happy now. Look at the qcard from quickertek.
  9. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Oct 14, 2011
    Nice idea, but as I noted in my OP, I'm still under warranty, so I would not do anything to interfere with the warranty.

    Thank you
  10. DJLAXL macrumors 6502


    Jun 3, 2014
    I went from a 2011 MBA 1.7 i5, 4GB, 128GB to a 2014 13" 2.6 i5, 8GB, 128GB rMBP via trade + cash. Night and day...completely (and obviously). Then via another trade I went from the 13" to a 2012 15" rMBP 2.6 i7, 16GB, 512GB. It actually stutters much more. Its weird. Even with all that power on the 15" the newer 13" ran smoother. I think the graphics card on the newer rMBPs makes a difference. You'd just have to get used to the trackpad. I still click a lot lol ;)

Share This Page