Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
i just ordered my 12.9 with pencil from best buy as they offered it to ship on the 13th and apples estimates were later then that.

Problem is i dont want to spend 200 dollars on the keyboard folio when the moment the otterbox defender is out ill be getting that one and it will stay it it permently until i sell it for the next one.

I allready spent enough on apple so is there any tollerable 3rd party cases out for it that are protective and cheep to use as a hold over until otterbox sells theirs? (And does anyone know when that will happen?)

I got a bluetooth keyboard i can use with it for typing but i searched amazon and dident see any yet.

What are your guys recomendations?

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Why don't you just get the standard folio?

I dont want to spend 100 bucks on something im going to never use again once the otterbox is out. I just want something decent and within reason until then hense why i decided to avoid paying the apple tax on an acessory that wont be used for the vast majority of the ipads lifetime

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Khomo makes excellent cases for iPads and they'll have some ready for launch on Amazon.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
i just ordered my 12.9 with pencil from best buy as they offered it to ship on the 13th and apples estimates were later then that.

Problem is i dont want to spend 200 dollars on the keyboard folio when the moment the otterbox defender is out ill be getting that one and it will stay it it permently until i sell it for the next one.

I allready spent enough on apple so is there any tollerable 3rd party cases out for it that are protective and cheep to use as a hold over until otterbox sells theirs? (And does anyone know when that will happen?)

I got a bluetooth keyboard i can use with it for typing but i searched amazon and dident see any yet.

What are your guys recomendations?

Question not recommendation - I need the drop protection of an otter box or equivalent but I’ve always been put off by the built in screen protector of the defender. Do you use the built in screen protector? The otter box on my 9.7 pro is a symmetry folio with a front cover so I would prefer that if it’s offered.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Not convinced the Pencil will dock with it on, mind.
Yup, unfortunately product description states...

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 23.16.36.png

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Question not recommendation - I need the drop protection of an otter box or equivalent but I’ve always been put off by the built in screen protector of the defender. Do you use the built in screen protector? The otter box on my 9.7 pro is a symmetry folio with a front cover so I would prefer that if it’s offered.

I always use the built in screen protector

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
I have a $7 TPU case (the most common type listed) from eBay and it’s too small. The fit is terrible, but at least the 4 corners of the iPad fit. The sides are pulled back but the corners will have some protection from a drop.

One seller on eBay just listed a different style TPU case with enlarged corners, that I just placed an order for at $5 plus $2 for expedited shipping.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Im waiting on ZUGU to update their amazon cases..supposedly out December 14th, those cases are great but want one in purple, right now its only available in black

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.