Any good earphones for under $50 / £30

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macgrl, Aug 29, 2011.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

I just need a pair to carry around with my mba to use to listen to itunes or a movie. Don't need anything too fancy.

Any recommendations. I don't mind if they are in ear etc:)

2. jpl6 macrumors member

If you're not an audiophile and just want something to use for casual listening, I'd recommend the JLab Audio line. The JBud J3 is under $25 while the JBud J4 is under $40. I'm not an audiophile, but to me their sound quality is pretty good and enough for what I'm looking for in an earphone. I've used the J2, J3, J4, and Q1 and liked all of them. The J3/J4/Q1 are definite improvements over the J2 in my opinion.

Besides slightly different emphasis in sound quality, one difference between the J3 & the J4 is that the J3 feels lighter/more mobile than the J4 (in terms of the earphone cord). So I ended up using a J4M (with microphone) at work and the J3 for running/exercise.

The best thing about the brand is the customer service. They're quick to respond and are hassle-free when it comes to dealing with your issues. When I requested a warranty replacement for one of their older earbuds, they offered to send a new one free of charge without questions. I requested to pay for an upgrade to a newer model (that didn't exist in their warranty upgrade system at the time) and they quickly set it up by giving me a credit code for my previous purchase (made on Amazon) so I'd only have to pay the difference between what I originally paid for my older earphone and the new earphone (a bargain upgrade). Another example of their great customer service is that when a customer responded on Amazon saying they preferred their old J2 to the new J3, they responded by offering to exchange that customer's J3 for two new J2's.

---

Anyways, I'd definitely recommend them if you're just looking for a decent pair of earphones with a great warranty & customer support. They have a burn-in track on their site I'd recommend you running for several hours.

If you want something with even better sound, I'm sure the audiophiles here can give you great recommendations, but personally I'm not too sure if there are any in-ear headphones that are better at under $50. Sennheiser has pretty good ones and I had a slighty more expensive Sennheiser (~$80) before I switched to the JBuds, but I prefer the JBuds more (at similar pricepoints). You could also look into Shures for in-ear headphones if you're willing to spend some more money.

There are probably - definitely - over-the-ear or on-ear headphones with better sound quality at around ~$50 though, but at a loss of portability versus in-ear headphones. I personally also have an over-the-ear headphone at ~$200 that I bought for use at home, but it's not something I wear/bring while traveling around the city.

Yeah, sorry for the long post, but I've just been appreciative of the great experience I've had with the JBuds. However, I've also offered a few alternatives for the in-ear headphone category (Sennheiser, Shure).

3. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816