Any good reason why one should get 16GB 3GS when 8GB is plenty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 9, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

If you know you will end up using only a couple of GB of space max anyway, can an extra $100 be well spent for 3GS for other reasons? (I have been having video recording on my non-iPhone for last 3 years, but never took a video, nor pictures, nor mp3. So, the new video-recording cannot be a good reason.)

However, I plan to enjoy all the wonderful apple apps as much as possible when I get an iPhone. But, knowing myself, I will just keep not more than 10 apps at a time.

Will I miss out on something if I get the old 8GB instead of the new 16GB 3GS?

Please advice.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

better battery life, a lot faster everything, a compass to help with navigation (and later, other stuff)

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I never took pictures on a cellphone until I had a decent enough cellphone camera.

You keep telling yourself that. ;)
    Apps are addictive, but you don't know that until you have them. Classics justifications like, "I don't think I'll want to do the thing that app does, but I might at some point and its only a dollar or two."

Apps and photos don't consume that much space, but music and videos do. How much do you like to carry around.

4. mpdrouin macrumors newbie

Good reasons? Because it's shinny is a good reason.

I have an 8GB and I am a Dead Head - so I can store about 15 live shows, a few other random albums, a bunch of apps, and photos on the phone. I could easily fill up the 32GB with shows.

I can see how the 16GB would be beneficial if you are doing a lot of video recording.

I also think the auto focus on the 3GS is a neat thing, but I have a nice digital camera that I mostly use for pictures. I think the camera on the 3G phone works well.

The thing that I like is the faster iPhone. But what is that really going to do - load my apps .5 seconds faster. God knows I could use that time in my life.

So, there are some fun new bells and whistles, the question to ask is:

Is having a slightly better camera, longer battery, more power, compass, larger HD, being able to say 3GS worth a hundred bucks to ya? If so - Then do it!

What is a hundred bucks now a days? 3.5 tanks of gas on my VW: 1 week of groceries for my family of three: 50 medium coffees at Peet's: 2 tickets to Hanaha Montana (kill me)....

Honestly bro - if you get the 8GB, after a few months of not being able to put down the iPhone, I really doubt you will think, "Man, I am such an idiot for not getting the 3GS". That is unless you do a lot of video - then it may be worth the extra Benjamin. Plus, if they release a kick ass model next year, you have total justification to upgrade.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/ are the differences worth 100 bucks to you?

5. Razeus macrumors 603

You need more capacity. Your'e only limited by what you can think of.

Between my music, videos, photos, podcasts, apps and now games, 32GB is a must.

6. chox99 macrumors regular

I have 8GB and it's plenty for me. Unless you have a lot of videos, it's gonna be hard to fill up a 8GB. I have tons of pictures+songs+apps and some videos and I still 4GB more to fill. I wouldn't recommend unless you REALLY need it. save $100 and get a awesome BT headphone.;)

7. fid macrumors newbie

Although many folks will not need this, I want a nice GPS application. For me the main reason I'm looking for a minimum of 32 gig is because of resident maps. I expect detailed maps to run between 1 - 4 gig in size. Take away 1 gig for the OS and a gig for general applications, etc. and I'm looking at either 2, 10 or 26 gig available.

This before I start putting movies, music, etc.

8. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

You will most likely take more pictures and video with a 3 megapixel camera. If not, you can just use higher quality music.

9. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

You might get lost in the woods and need a compass.

You might have a extra hundred burning a hole in your pocket.

You might like to mess with voice commands cause it's so hilarious "Call Bob"..... "Playing Nirvana" No CALL BOB! Calling mom. :D