Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Hey,

One thing I love about the iOS ecosystem is the creative media production, especially the evolution in music.

Positive Grid is having a sale on their iOS guitar and music applications. I just recently got myself a used Line 6 Sonic Port iOS interface (lightning port) and was blown away with how great the amplified and sound modeling is. Blows away previous greats like Native Instruments Guitar Rig and even Garage Band's amp models. Im happy to see developers like these push the limits of the hardware seemingly under the radar, without any fanfare.

I'm currently using a retina macbook pro + native instruments rig control 3 as my 'light' pedalbaord rig, but the sound quality of these apps even on iOS is making me consider the their new all-metal construction bluetooth footswitch (http://www.positivegrid.com/bt4/) and an iPad Pro.

The best thing about this software and evolution behind sound processing is that you reap the rewards of new hardware (like an incredibly fast A9X evolution) and that translates directly into sound quality and performance. Any other guitar players using iOS or mac guitar processing live?

Reactions: Codeseven

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Nice to see fellow guitar amp modeler users here :)

I used to connect my guitar to a 2008 MBP using an Apogee Jam96 and play thru either Scuffham's S-Gear (wish they'd make an iOS version!), Garageband or Rocksmith using their USB cable. Lately I've only been using a 16Gb iPad Air 1 and using some great iOS amp sims such as BIAS Fx, Flying Haggis and ToneStack.

What is your favorite amp modeling software?

I either listen thru headphones or use a compact, small but powerful, Mini Jambox which sounds great.

What do you guys listen/play thru?

I haven't tried using MIDI control yet but that Positivegrid Bluetooth Footswitch looks interesting.

I'm really hoping the iPP pans out. I'd love to park my old MBP and step up to a much more powerful iPad with a large screen.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
My plan is to use Bias FX for iPad (and eventually iPad Pro) as my new 'light' pedalboard rig for my band when practicing or playing small gigs, the effects models are that good. I'm curious to see how flexible their new BT4 footswitch will be but I think it will be a marked improvement over the alternatives in the market.

I'm using a Line 6 sonic port VX, the guitar is going direct into the sonic port, and the L/mono output into the input of the amp (either a Fender Vibro Champ 5W or a Vox AC15 15 Watt combo). I have all the amp/cabinet speaker modeling off and I have the 'amp front end' mode on in Bias FX. Works great as a light pedalboard with the feedback of a touch screen.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I also have a Fender Mustang III that I occasionally use as a cab by plugging into the Fx Loop Return port. Not the greatest sound though. The M-III is better off using it's own pre-sets. I'd rather use a true high-fi cab for clarity.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
I also have a Fender Mustang III that I occasionally use as a cab by plugging into the Fx Loop Return port. Not the greatest sound though. The M-III is better off using it's own pre-sets. I'd rather use a true high-fi cab for clarity.

Nice. In my experience I've found that a real living breathing guitar amp is still the way to go. I really like those Fender Mustang III's.

I'm looking forward to the iPad Pro and the ability to have 2 iPad 9.7" apps side by side. I think it'll make playing a lot easier to see the effects on the bigger screen.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Nice. In my experience I've found that a real living breathing guitar amp is still the way to go. I really like those Fender Mustang III's.

I'm looking forward to the iPad Pro and the ability to have 2 iPad 9.7" apps side by side. I think it'll make playing a lot easier to see the effects on the bigger screen.

Many of us live in the city or have children, so this emulation stuff is a godsend on off hours.

Last edited:

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I was in Chicago Music Exchange and played a guitar in one of their soundproof booths. Playing a new high end guitar through an expensive VOX AC30 amp was really an eye opener, sounded fantastic (and NOT because of my playing ability).

But, practically speaking, I actually prefer the variety and experimentation that amp sims provide. I love that I have a gazillion exotic amps, pedals and effects to mess around with, it's great fun. It also does wonders for practicing. I get bored very quickly hearing the sound of the same set of chords I'm learning over and over again. But, I love hearing what that same chord progression sounds like through different amps and effects. It greatly extends the time I'm willing to put into practicing and makes it interesting.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
But, practically speaking, I actually prefer the variety and experimentation that amp sims provide. I love that I have a gazillion exotic amps, pedals and effects to mess around with, it's great fun. It also does wonders for practicing. I get bored very quickly hearing the sound of the same set of chords I'm learning over and over again. But, I love hearing what that same chord progression sounds like through different amps and effects. It greatly extends the time I'm willing to put into practicing and makes it interesting.

O totally. I'm having so much fun playing around with re-amping in Bias FX and Garageband on my iPad Air 2. Basically I record a riff or line and then I spend as much time if not more basically running the same basic clip through all the different amps and effects combinations to hear how it sounds. Too much fun.

Until mix down time and the same clip is mixed down so differently all that re-amping was for moot but hey! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.