Any HEAVY readers use the iPad instead of a Nook/Kindle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vinum0908, Feb 19, 2011.

1. vinum0908 macrumors newbie

I'm just curious-- The iPad is a great multifunctional device, and I use it all the time.

I've just run across a lot of people lately who have either been leaving their e-readers at home or selling them and using the iPad alone.

The iPad is a decent alternative for small amounts of time, and I actually take my iPad to book club since it's quicker and easier to find specific pages in a book for discussion purposes than on my Nook.

But due to the size, weight, and glare (not to mention the brightness of the LCD which hurts my eyes after a while), I could not imagine sitting down and spending hours reading a book on it day after day.

So basically, I'm wondering if any heavy hardcore readers use the iPad as their primary reading device. As in, at least one novel a week. Most people I come across who say the iPad is an equivalent reading device only read sporadically at most.

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I don`t tend to but I actually use my MBP as an e-reader.
    My wife uses hers as an e-reader all the time and hasn`t had a problem with eyestrain/discomfort.
    Her Kindle is probably going to get sold soon.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I read on my iPad several hours everyday. Half of that is surfing the web or reading news on Instapaper, and half is reading ebooks. I've never owned a dedicated ereader device like the Nook or the Kindle. I suppose they are lighter, but they are another device to carry, and for me, carrying around a device just to read books doesn't make sense, when I can take an iPad and have a choice to read books, watch videos, or play games, whatever I'm in the mood for.

4. 4phun, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

4phun macrumors member

Think the iPad is way better for reading books manuals.

Same here.

If you are using GoodReader to read PDFs it has a control to dim the screen in the application. It is easy to dim the screen for the whole device too.

I rented a new van which didn't have a users manual. All I needed to do was to download a couple of manuals from the auto manufacturers web site to my DropBox which auto synced with GoodReader. In a few seconds I was reading the Users Gide and knew what all the high tech controls did.

I find reading those tiny inserts and manuals that come with appliances and othr gadgets today hard to read and keep track of after a few months. I now make or download PDFs of them and store them online. They are much easier to read on a huge screen or with the iPad with its zoom capabilities.

If you switch on airplane mode the battery life jumps dramatically while reading and you are not bothered by pop ups from the system alerts.

5. zenio macrumors 6502

I have the new Kindle, which is 100 times better than my iPad for reading. It's worth it to have both (if you need an iPad)

But nothing beats a Kindle, or even comes close. Do your eyes a huge favor and get one.

The iPad is good for the web and other fun stuff, but as a e-reader it really is poor. That's not what it was designed to do either, despite what others may say.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This discussion comes up every once in a while, and the conclusion we get is that some people prefer e-ink, while others prefer LCD like the iPad's. Apparently, not all eyes are built alike, so while many people do find e-ink easier on the eyes, some people genuinely don't feel any difference, and some people actually prefer LCDs.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never had a kindle (or nook) but the iPad is a great e-reader

8. caubeck macrumors 6502

I only read on the iPad now. In January I bought 43 books via Kindle and downloaded at least 20 more from elsewhere. I sold the Sony ereader to a colleague. I also wrote a book using the iPad (it was published by Penguin) and am now in the middle of my second book.

People obsess too much about reading comfort (e-ink versus LCD etc.), though if a certain medium strains your eyes by all means try something else. If you can comfortably read this forum post on your PC surely you can read the words "Once upon a time..."

A lot of nonsense has been written on the alleged dangers of reading on a computer monitor, and the irony is you're likely to have read all about the controversy on a computer monitor without thinking twice.

I'm sure we all read our email and Facebook posts just fine.

9. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I use both my iPad and my iPhone for reading and I would consider myself a heavy reader - about 75 books a year.

I actually prefer my iPhone or iPod more than my iPad, believe it or not. I can read anywhere, any time.

10. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Kindle is definitely the better e-reader but I`ve found no problems reading off the iPad or Macbook screen, often for hours at a time.

11. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

I read quite a bit on my iPad AND kindle 3. Basically, I use the kindle during the day and the iPad in the evening. The iPad sucks in any sunlight, and that is where the kindle works the best. the kindle sucks in dim light, and that is where the iPad shines.

With the kindle app, switching works well sine the books stay in sync on both devices.

As for eyestrain, I don't notice any while reading on the iPad. If it werent for it's poor daylight operation, I would stick solely with the iPad for reading.

12. racheldeet macrumors newbie

I use what's on hand, but I generally prefer my Kindle over the iPad. The e-ink feels better, the whole thing is lighter, and I like to read outside. I'm not one of those people who carries her iPad everywhere, either, so I tend to have the Kindle on me more often when I'm out and about and have a few minutes to kill. :)

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I am a heavy reader and don't even own, nor want to own, any kindle or other e-reader. My iPad does all I need and on a larger screen.

14. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My father, who is 86, was reading about one paper book every two weeks. He has very poor vision, especially in low light. Macular degen., glaucoma, detached retina, and needs to rest his eyes often while reading.

He tried out a few e-readers, his choice was the iPad. The iPad is much more accommodating for individual adjustment for eye comfort than other readers. Brightness, contrast, font size and format, there is even a white on black style for glare situations. After several months with the iPad he is now reading two books a week, and really enjoying his time spent reading. He does not have to rest his eyes after reading on his iPad.

The e-reader you use is just a matter of personal comfort. What is best for one person might not work for someone else.

15. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Let me start off by saying that I've read more than 60 books since acquiring my iPad and not once have I had any eye strain while reading on the iPad.

I do not own a kindle/nook and have no intention of buying one. I much prefer the iPad as I have access to all the different book stores versus being locked down to one store only depending on the e-reader.

16. Gryzor macrumors 6502

If you read a lot of eBooks, get a Kindle. People who say the iPad is good enough clearly haven't ever seen and used a Kindle.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

Enough of this nonsense. I was a huge fan of the Kindle when it first came out and when the Kindle 2 came out I bought 2 (one for my wife). Great reader. But I haven't used it since the iPad came out (and I read at least 1 book a week). Some people prefer the Kindle, others prefer the iPad. There's no "absolute best."

18. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I read on my iPad everyday. I enjoy it tremendously. My Kindle is now only used for beach reading.

19. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Define heavy. 300 pounds at the low end sounds right. I guess I will not be a heavy reader unless I get a iPad or Kindle and spend even more time on the couch.

20. alaskahill macrumors newbie

I owned the Kindle first and then the iPad and I do all my reading on the iPad and I think it is good enough. Of course since you assert that anybody who has made that judgement hasn't ever seen a Kindle then I must be blind and therefore using braille.

21. ozred macrumors 6502

I've had every model of Kindle, plus my iPad. They are drastically different when it comes to reading an ebook. The new Kindles are leaps and bounds better than the original or second gen. The purpose built Kindle is the only way to go.

My iPad is really terrific for what it was designed to do. While one could use it to read ebooks, it's not bad until you put the two side by side. Then you have a WOW moment as you realize the displays are dramatically different and each is excellent for it's intended use.

22. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

There's no way I could read 2-3hrs at night with just my iPad. It comes down to comfort for me. I've never found a great way to hold the device for that length of time. My K3 is so much better in this situation. But all my other reading throughout the day is on this iPad. I clearly enjoy both - one does not replace the other.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've found that propping it up on a small pillow works well for me.

24. ozred macrumors 6502

Good point. The iPad is as heavy as a large rock and about as cumbersome for reading of even medium duration.

The Kindle on the other hand, is so light and thin, perfect for holding in one hand, it's clearly a very superior eReader.

25. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

iPad & Kindle 3

My iPad is awesome and it has practically replaced my laptop. However, when it comes to serious reading, it can't touch my Kindle 3.