Any Hindu's on the forum?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wvuwhat, Sep 21, 2010.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

So, just to preface:

I was brought up in a very Christian household, church every Sunday, Wednesday, and sometimes other days. Baptized, Sunday School, Youth Group, etc. As I got to about age 9, I began questioning the teachings. After taking some Religion electives in college, pretty much all Religious classes I could take as a non-major, I basically made up my own religion. Abiding to the "Golden Rule," being completely objective to any religion, trying to learn as much as possible as I could about every one. I would have considered myself Agnostic up to a week ago, and might still.

So, basically, I'm searching for answers. I want to believe in something, however, as a very well educated person in the realm of Science, it's just so tough to believe at this point. I have nothing against Christian beliefs as a whole, but I find so many flaws, especially with the article on CNN today:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/21/where-did-waters-part-for-moses-not-where-you-think/?hpt=Sbin

I also have a personal disbelief in many ideas of Christianity, such as gay marriage, casting away divorcees (my mom got cast away from a Lutheran church after her divorce from my father, and went to another church), etc.

That lead me to purchase multiple books on Hinduism and after reading through most of them, I seem to agree with most ideas. I turn myself off at the death of me, I don't want to come back as some better form of life. I'd much rather just be dust in the ground, knowing my karma and personal decisions lead me to lead a great life, that hopefully made others happier, and not have to worry about God or Jesus's salvation. When I'm done, I'd like to be done.

Basically, I like the fact that you are living in the "now," and doing the right thing, as opposed to trying to worry about what was considered living good in ancient times.

I guess the purpose of this post is to get ideas from people that may have been or are still in the same position as I. I'd also like to hear differing viewpoints without name calling, politics, ideas not based on facts, etc.

Sound off?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've always considered Hindus to be Buddhists who'd prefer to keep their hair. :D

3. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

No lie, I LOL'ed.

4. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

And, furthermore, you bring up another pertinent religion. Buddha states "death is a return to Earth." Which hits me pretty hard, as that's one of my main beliefs. And, while I don't consider myself enlightened, I do consider myself educated, so maybe I could get there.

I really don't know what is going on with my belief system. But, after struggling for years to decide what I believe in, I turned to MR. That may be a fault of mine, haha.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It has been the fault of many before you, but usually for a medical conundrum. ;)

There is no relief from the saying that age = wisdom.

You are not allowed all the answers at this time, no matter what your level of intelligence.

You can reach your goal over time. No one else can help you.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because it's true! :D

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm pretty much in agreement here.

We mature in our own time.

While I do think that people can help, I think it's probably the one's who never think they're lending a hand that propel us the most.

And those who try and try to help... the ones who are just standing in the way.

So let me try to step aside for a moment...

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Buddhism and Hinduism always seemed like the more rational religions to me, even though they still have their quirks. Buddhism was the last religion I explored before becoming completely atheist. I always liked the idea of reincarnation. But what I've come to realize is that we are constantly being reincarnated. Our bodies now are not the same bodies we inhabited when we were children. All of those cells have gone and have been replaced by new ones.

So the conclusion I came to after long consideration is that when we die, we return to the Earth and feed new life. Whether we feed trees upon burial or worms or bacteria, or if we are consumed by viruses or things like cancer, life continues from us-because all of those things are forms of life as well. We consume life while we're alive and are ultimately consumed by other forms of life. This is one of the reasons I've never considered becoming vegan. Life is a cycle of consumption and rebirth. Life feeds on and destroys itself in a never-ending cycle. It never goes away, it simply changes form. Energy itself behaves in the exact same manner.

OK, I just got really deep. :)

9. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

You're one of the people I greatly respect on this forum, and this is no exception.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's my own personal thing. Take from it what you will. No one has the same views on anything. Find your own path. Some people find what I say terrifying, others find it comforting.

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I too found problems with the religion after reaching adulthood, however, as I came up with my own religion, I found that my beliefs were just that, my beliefs. Personal, mine alone, and to me, the "structure" of the religion I grew up around worked just fine for me. They gave me something to believe in that worked for me.

At the same time, I found that my problem wasn't so much with the specifics of my beliefs (Christ v. Buddha v. Mohammed v. the Mormon Christ 2.0 v. anything else), but with organized religion. It became clear to me that when a human acts as though he or she were annoited and their words were holy or blessed by god in some way, then abuses of power and human failures become magnified.

I basically now believe what I believe, but absolutely know that I could be wrong. I refuse to ever say "I'm right, you're wrong." I acknowledge that every religion could be right, and they could all be wrong. It's not for me, or any other human, to decide. But hey, that's just me.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Hey, that sounds a lot like my religion. Is the first commandment, "Thou shalt not give unto thy beliefs a name"?

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

One's belief in Christ does not necessarily mean you have to agree with every single aspect of a religion's societal or moral doctrine. If that were the case, there would be no Catholics, Baptists, Presbyterians, Mormons, etc. - they would all simply be Christians.

Your mom seems to have had the right idea, as do you - find a group of people whose beliefs and values are most like your own, and worship with them. It sounds like your mind is fairly open. I think you'll find what you're looking for. :)

I believe it's "Thou shalt have no other gods before me," unless you're Jewish, in which case it's "I am the Lord thy God."

I've been wrong before, though.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And I believe he was pulling your leg, as it was "his" religion. ;)

15. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

This is one of the things about Buddhism that rings true to me as well (I am a practicing western Theravada Buddhist). Nothing really exists but this very moment - a reality we create in our own minds.

Just on a technical term though Buddhist do not believe in reincarnation* - they believe in re-birth. Reincarnation requires a soul or never ending identity - something Buddhist don't believe in (when the Buddha was asked about a soul he classified the question as inappropriate as its answer would not lead to the end of suffering).

*You can always find some Buddhist somewhere that does, however its not what the Buddha taught (as is the case with much of many of the sects of Buddhism sometimes teach.)

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I wouldn't equate Buddhism with Hinduism as much as some people are. Hinduism involves an instituted caste system along with actual deity worship. Buddhism has no deities or codified socioeconomic structures.